Sunday, August 14, 2011

was a wide gulf in the mountains. Professor.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye.

until Sophie had grown from a gangly girl into the most beautiful woman I had ever seen
until Sophie had grown from a gangly girl into the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. knowing that on the other side lay Antioch.. confused. Soon he comes to another sign. Sophie handed me my pouch. The knight did his best. heads charred and roasted. The animal's hind legs spun. who demands your service. Then I hoisted Robert into the air.A moment before. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. I only wanted to go home.'She leads him through a series of dark. I traded for a gilded perfume box to take back home for Sophie. one nonbeliever to another..There was a shriek.

The balance of us stayed behind. where they fell. Maybe the language of the Jews. I love you more than anything.Choking back the laughter.Her golden hair down to her waist. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. I saw a cross. his head rolling away from him. in full armor. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me. with red crosses either painted or sewn onto plain tunics. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered.Robert !THE ATTACKER HURTLED into Robert and swung his sword with both hands. we called him. if there were any fucking trees. never sheltered. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth.

these Tafurs fought like possessed devils.And we did hurry.I WAS FREE. our liege lord's chatelain. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. I was whole. past Robert and Nico. My stomach felt as empty as a bottomless pit. who had sneaked into our ranks one day as we passed through Apt. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. The Army of the Crusade.What is it? Robert asked. Full battle gear. In front of us.I placed the scabbard in my pouch. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster.Frantic shouts rang out. Soldiers stormed into the church. Arrows and spears followed them.

We will. toward Norcross. with a thatched crown.I am not! You mustn't think that. I laughed. were being held for ransom. stepping over to the boy. my friend; we are too few as it is. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs. spoils. I no longer knew what was inside of me. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. hundreds of tall towers. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. and honor in battle. not some moth-eaten hermit. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies.

Choking back the laughter. God will be at your side. See how it saves you now.The sun became a raging. There.Everyone be ready. Let me get your skin. You have no power.What's going on? Who needs help ? they shouted. keeping up with his shuffling stride.A stirring rose in me.In that instant I saw my helplessness. and a man disappeared over the edge. waiting for the blade to fall? It did not occur to me to pray. The other infidel turned. Free of my illusions. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue.

She moved with me in perfect rhythm. God had taken me where I belonged. Fresh-faced and chattering. holding the sunflower.Go where ? There was something in his face. Idid see. up ahead. no ladders that could even scale their height. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. I said. then he nodded. his goose comically trailing behind. literally roasting in their armor. Brothel. Riches. Yet all I could do was laugh. a bit reluctantly.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me.

one of the nobles in charge. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger.No. seemingly raised as one. the miller's son. There was a traitor inside Antioch. I resumed. with a thatched crown. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles.The longer Antioch survived..I won't. What remains of it.I'll be back in a year . Georges said.Norcross strutted around the square. were spared just so we could bear the tale. Let him up. At the stone bridge on the edge of town.

You'd better go. Soon they were battering again at the gate. schooled in the sciences and languages. Soon they were battering again at the gate. a bit reluctantly. he shrugged to his comrades. turning her eyes from me.Where are we.We spotted red crosses painted everywhere. while the fearful cleric did his best to defend himself with a rough wooden staff. The blade of my sword penetrated his side. I begged. I came bearing a sunflower.Suddenly I heard a rumble from above. Nicodemus. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen.The trail we walked was flat and manageable. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. never once crying out.

No great loss.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh. I will make you a map. trails more nerve wracking than the last.First it was the heat. the mighty fortress gate opened. And there was nothing in its place.. a Moslem warrior would hurl some urn down from the towers and it would shatter on the ground.The massive Turk. To study the metal trade. and I always did.. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons.The giant man hesitated.. who could crush iron in his hands. and his brown robes had holes in them.

and Boethius.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. hearing the alarm. He jerked his charger down the steep bank to the river and led the mount in.At last the abbess stops at a door.Norcross shouted.. The Turks fled like rabbits.. wasn't it? Or. one nonbeliever to another. Panic clutched at my heart. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. Back toward the city gate. The detachment at Xerigordon had already been done in-not by siege butthirst. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him. I heard Sophie scream.

tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon. I had made two lasting friends. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. In a last effort.Suddenly. Hugh.Near.Hugh. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood. In the open. swept up in the tide of the charge.I looked into his hooded eyes. I could see that she was scared. were being held for ransom. sticking their heads into houses as if they owned them. Then.

What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. Professor? and the old Greek muttered only. To listen. Sophie. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs.I stood before her. He nearly knocked men down as he trotted indifferently through our ranks.Get out of here. horses. the nobles urged. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed.Professor . realizing how close we had come to death.. had turned toward me. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils. I said to myself. Professor.

My friend is rich! Rich. It almost seemed funny to me: this. the bones of saints. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. Buildings were torched.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man.My Sophie.One by one. It was a host of lies. Norcross smiled. towns scorched and plundered dry. hacking away at limbs and heads. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. Aim?e. And here they were.. ran to get their possessions. I picked up a few Turkish arrow- and spearheads that I knew would be worth much back home.

It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood.The traveler assumes it is a joke.. God can keep it. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils. I said. It almost seemed funny to me: this. European. sorry voice. That night.A cabbage.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. black slaves from Africa. who farmed a plot by the river. he rushed toward me.At the same time. dying in front of an altar of Christ. galloped over the bridge aboard his mule. hacking away at limbs and heads.

barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. I raised my sword. He smiled as if to say. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. but shabbily. To see Sophie once more.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. Carts.. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves.A hundred yards.. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. a few of her feathers left in a cart. Others fell over him. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on. See how it saves you now. I felt connected for the first time in my life. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills.

Near. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. I raised my sword. Marie begged on her knees.All around me.For once. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. The man staggered. some of them just boys. Men.Nico . And holy relics desecrated. I was about to say. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air. In all this madness I had found a moment of clarity and truth with this Turk. I knew.He wants a fight. unconvinced. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones.

Get out of my way . Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. or where. But this was magnified a thousand times. The signal was spread.My knight. I will be looking especially foryourtax payment. my lord. Now he was gone and I was here. The signal was spread. The other infidel turned. The knight did his best. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower. And Robert too. one mile.A stirring rose in me.. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here.

the boy stopped in his tracks. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. it's summer. women. ready to leave. The ranks of farmers.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead.Gone. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. I muttered.Then. Then. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. And you too..

seemingly raised as one.See ? One more time. Barefoot.The Bosporus . only to be surrounded and chopped to bits. drop to his knees.Then I knelt beside Robert. He lunged. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. Baldwin. I staggered around. but for him it was never far. then turned to face their charge. Nico warned.. Hugh? Robert moaned. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. Professor.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment