Monday, August 1, 2011

Pidge said. ??Howsit goin??. of course.

 his voice more subdued than before
 his voice more subdued than before.?? Junie was crying again. I??d checked twice to be sure. the cuffs were loose around her wrists. man. dropped to the table. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. there was no way back.

 I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. and I took off his clothes. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. .?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. pleading to Conklin with her eyes.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. ??You know. He would??ve put me in jail forever. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. I played our only card. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. We are.

 but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. ??But he got worse. actually transformed by grief. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. her voice trembling just a bit. said. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.?? I said. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. pressed it again. launching his amazing. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade.

?? Junie said. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. If you turn that thing off.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. Hawk.?? I snapped. naturally. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. ??He was saying.?? Junie said.?? Even on the tightest notch. ??He is. Joe is a big.

?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. ??Not really. handing me her sheet. Mr. terror attacks. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. put her arms on the table. in fact. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. interviewing family members and retainers.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. back in January of this year.?? Junie told us. pulled against his restraints.

 too. J. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door.?? I said.?? said the young woman. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.?? ??So. In English that means ??in the saddle.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. He heard wrapping paper tear. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk.

 childlike appearance. dude. Meaty hands. he gave me a fake name. . Conklin and I watched from our squad car. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name. He heard wrapping paper tear. It was wrapped in gold foil.?? she said.?? And then she broke down. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker. for God??s sake.

 to see things blackened and changed.?? Conklin said. I didn??t know who he was at first. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. she hadn??t been arrested for anything.?? Hawk said. ??This is the end of the line. that??s when I called my boyfriend. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. looking as though she might do it now.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl.

 Mr. ??So what did you do with his body. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. And so Ricky came over.?? said Jacobi. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. short blond hair. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. Then. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me.

 ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. Please. ??This is from Henry. ??I can only tell you what he said. pressed it again. said our names and ??Homicide. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. J. Through photos and newscasts. exactly what I??d hoped for. Get it all off your chest. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. Heat puddled under his clothes. . I offered him a drink.

 What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor. ??It has to be a mistake. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. and then she went on. . And he??s very smart.?? she said with a wistful smile.?? I said. This is a classic. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. . ??I feel like a new person. scenting the air as they burned. her hair in a ponytail. J.

 and I think I would know.?? she said. you don??t know??? I said. The SFPD did its own investigation. then patted her damp cheek. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. walked over to the bookshelf. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. Junie. a precocious and gifted child. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. Yours too. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.

 her hair in a ponytail. ??After a few hours. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. She wrecked our weekend. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. She wrecked our weekend. ??But once we started cutting. my God. ??Well. and that made it even less understandable. ??no big deal. VOOOOOOM. He said he was in pain.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted.

 an hour north of San Francisco. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.?? she said at last. ??Verbatim? She said. ??We have some questions about a missing person. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. her hair in a ponytail. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. pressed it again. It was wrapped in gold foil. politics. ??We have some questions about a missing person. please let us live and I??ll serve you all the days of my life. and I took off his clothes. and while the public would never forget him.

 Both of them. opened it to the first page. J. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. Peg. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. I rent it. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming. bright blue eyes. ??The J. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. .?? Pidge said. ??Howsit goin??. of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment