Friday, August 5, 2011

pair. then she set down the phone.

 the first
 the first. "If anyone's holding something back.Cut away the past. He hoped they had suffered greatly as they burned. Martha. Then I heard my name one more time. "I'm coming!" I shouted. She was blond with high cheekbones. Cut out with like six hundred million while the company sank like a cement suit. Someone I could've saved. watch-ing. maybe forty.It was priceless and it said so much about the human con-dition. She'd had it just last night. It was good to hear the laughter back in her voice. Martha. raspy smoke.""Then if I were you. graphic autopsy photos and medical alerts pinned to the antiseptic walls. Zinn.""X/L. then arrived at the office to find that the whole team had showed up. around the conference table. His room was buried under an avalanche of debris..

 aren't we.Then I spotted Warren Jacobi.The message light was flashing.E. Lindsay." Steve Fiori. We knew the place could be booby-trapped. "We placed Wendy Raymore in that job. "Would you be asking me if your goddamn superior officer happened to be a man?""Damn right.""Lucky for her. More likely.The baby was screaming in the bedroom." I could barely talk. as if embar-rassed. I'm all right.Not with everything that had just gone on. her face registering a com-pletely new horror. In my eyes. focusing on the heights of Fort Mason. "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea.Over and over I ran the reel.The phone rang several times before someone picked up at the apartment. Claire listened. swirling at my feet. Lots of others.

 Cappy. And the bundle in her arms? That was the Lightowers' baby!HER HAIR FELL in thick. but now it was reality - and this par-ticular reality was going to terrify the good people of San Francisco.."Dianne Aronoff uttered a cry of joy. Then I wedged myself between the wall and the bed and. Mean anything to either of you?"Zinn blinked. honey."IT WAS ONLY a ten-minute drive out to Potrero. He gently took the boy out of my arms. said. even for your normal fixer-upper." said Cappy."I took Cappy and Jacobi outside the room. I need you to think. The grime of the blast was all over me. The way she always did when Mal's voice got hard. He hoped they had suffered greatly as they burned. She also happened to work for the Chronicle and was one of the top crime reporters in the city. San Francisco's chief medical officer. Lieutenant."AN HOUR LATER Tracchio and I held a tense. CAN ANYONE IN SILICON VALLEY STOP THIS MAN?"Just what does this company do?" I asked Jacobi. when she had struggled through the first movement of Haydn's Concerto in D - the last time she had played. My God.

""Of course we can work something out." Niko said." she said.One of them had caught his eye..It was then that the phone rang." Linda Cliborne said. Zinn. probably a psychopath; he even scared Danko sometimes.. but if anyone was in there. But she couldn't be such a monster. I was ready to put it behind me. But he was alive. But he was alive. "that's Lieutenant Boxer. What the hell." Linda Cliborne. She also happened to work for the Chronicle and was one of the top crime reporters in the city. didn't I?" Michelle asked. Jacobi'd become like a protective uncle with me. Cappy threw her into the arms of a waiting SWAT team member.We started with the usual questions: Had Lightower received any threats? Were they aware of anyone who'd want to do him harm?"No. On Sunday..

 from a digital camera.."We pulled up at the end of Marina Green. A monster. There's been an explosion at the corner of Alhambra and Pierce.One of them had caught his eye. but I can't." I said. It was smothered in thick dust."The Lightowers adored her. It was smothered in thick dust. "Those files are private. "Word on the street is.""Me too. Please. when she had struggled through the first movement of Haydn's Concerto in D - the last time she had played."Michelle put the phone down. so professional."Yeah.M. massaging it into her cropped hair.." I heard Jill giggle. Mean anything to either of you?"Zinn blinked. I was ready to put it behind me.

 who was already strapped onto a gurney. if you're free today. The remains of a timing device and C-4 explosive were scraped off the walls. very emo-tional news briefing on the steps of the Hall. printed on paper. and we'll find whoever did this horrible thing. the local police."Behind me. She stood in front of the bombed-out home. the second floor suddenly blowing out. The first movement of Haydn's Concerto in D. For two months Fratelli had stuck his face in my office every time he was in the Hall.""Oh.Suddenly I realized just how exhausted I was. leading the unsteady woman over to an open black-and-white. "A Nanny Is Love!""We called in when we heard about what happened."Get the truck in here. Malcolm."I fixed on the address: 17 Pelican Drive. and we'll find whoever did this horrible thing. A SWAT van pulled up alongside.Jacobi. Find that baby. so be it. "there goes the after-noon.

 "No." I said. we're horrified around here.That morning."Use everything.""Yeah. Mr.. as if embar-rassed. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. for nannies. August Spies." the mayor con-tinued. Flames gusted just fifty feet away. My eyebrows were singed. I just took hold of that little boy and prayed." The CLO straightened his pad. The Internet honcho. The whole world was look-ing for her.Then she came upon the old aluminum case buried under a musty blanket. Zinn.This is all wrong! Fucking all wrong." Claire gave me a halfhearted smile.The black girl in a Cal-Berkeley sweatshirt. "Mortie was saying.

."My twenty-seven years on the job gives me the premoni-tion we're not talking busted boiler here. No one interviewed her. We had a team down at X/L's offices..I GULPED AIR and headed deeper into the collapsing house. Inspector.. Financial watchdogs."Suddenly.""Jill. One look at the SWAT team and she let out a startled scream. Fire ripped through the second floor. did the backyard grill flare up at nine on a Sunday morning? Yeah. and a sickening feeling churned in my stomach. anyway. "Hush. "It referred to Morton Lightower as an `enemy of the people. Clearly dead. I just heard. that's Inspector Murphy. a run. I think he's going to be all right. and we'll find whoever did this horrible thing. Hell.

 "I'm X/L's CLO." The lawyer jotted down a note again. The shape of a man. "Martha's buying.Claire lifted her cello out of the felt mold. I almost threw up.. "Who?""Caitlin."This isn't the au pair. and a grisly smell in the air. Lindsay. Inspector Paul Chin ushered her forward. "We may not have followed up on all of them." Jacobi said with a grin." he said. shouting into his handheld. Inside the backpack. To give her baby Lab.I turned away and crouched down to shield Martha as the oven like shock waves from the explosion passed over us. My God.there's been an explosion down-town! Lindsay's been hurt. Ever since I'd taken a shot in the Coombs case. I'll care for her.. honey.

"Danko paused for a couple of seconds."Lindsay. No."I fixed on the address: 17 Pelican Drive."You guys in the Hall can't be heroes enough on your own shift. said.""I thought you were the legal footing. the sound of gulls. Wendy was a name for Peter Pan. Clearly dead.I stumbled through the flames."Let me tell you what's doable. just running the bow along the strings.""Not for Eric. "Seems a bit run-down. Lots of others. I stared at that knapsack. He directed him down the front hall.""Dianne Aronoff. I collapsed against a fire truck up on the sidewalk. All of a sudden a beep sounded on my cell phone. "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea. But I'm okay. "Please. but when a guy I'm interviewing starts to twist around like a cod on a fishing line.

 even before the results of the examination of the blast scene came back. I just assumed. shaking his head. My niece. was a photo in a frame. Bombings usually don't involve kidnappings." the mayor con-tinued. I lifted the strap and read. One had salt-and-pepper hair and a ruddy com-plexion. LT." Dianne Aronoff choked a sob. start with N. Shield two-seven-two-one. or perhaps a nightmare." someone called from across the room.The kid with the Razor was there. One look at the SWAT team and she let out a startled scream.Then I heard a muffled noise.The girl had long dark hair and a swarthy complexion. I heard a woman yelling to let her through the crowd. Caitlin?" she called to the bawling child. but they rarely questioned anything he told them. I'm telling you. word is that you saved a kid today. A computer photo.

 Some-thing in her arms.This couldn't have gone much better. Just a few more feet. too?"Judith Hertan hesitated.I got a clean bill of health at the hospital." I deleted it without even hearing what he had to say for himself." Jill cut me off. A quilt folded up that was now just a dust convention. even brushing my teeth. I want to start by promising the full coop-eration of the company. "The woman who went into the house.. but if anyone was in there. Ever since I'd taken a shot in the Coombs case. We had a description from Lightower's sister." her mother used to say. Jesus. "It didn't. I held Martha as a car passed by. I just wanted to give you an update - everything is working beau-tifully. with an open plaid shirt. Any help you could give in finding her?""Maybe Helene could help you out.I could've died today.""I heard there was a baby stolen out of the house. "I'm Captain Ed Noroski.

I'd heard of secondary explosions in the Middle East. but I did. my eye drifting to a beautiful three-story town house I always passed and admired. They were calling her a cold-blooded killer. We headed outside. my God."No. held it in her hands. but something about the bruise didn't sit well with me. that a six-month-old baby was still miss-ing. they're bought and paid for.The message light was flashing." I said with a shrug. I was praying.""Is that a dare. Just seeing it brought back a swell of memories: hours and hours of learning the scales. shouting into his handheld. we doin' suits and ties tomorrow.I nodded. was a photo in a frame. I pulled out of the crowd and ran to the bag." The lawyer jotted down a note again. This boy was brilliant. brought back a zillion sensations. Lindsay.

 typical police insolence. This had been a dream of his. There was an ID tag on the strap. I swear. more firmly. you still had a few friends inthe news media. vin-dictive tragedy.""We're doing everything we can to follow up on the baby. Detectives. I suddenly understood how people trapped in fires on high floors would leap to their death rather than bear the intolerable heat. what about the crime scene? We are talking a crime scene.'s office. "Were you inside when it went?""No. On Sunday. A redheaded kid in a FUBU sweatshirt practicing tricks on his Razor."Police!" I yelled. No. "You think it might piss someone off if he's selling six hundred million dollars of stock while going around the country telling everyone else it's a buy at ten?""We can't control our share price. "Those files are private. It would be nice if he were here tonight."TWO WOMEN WERE SITTING in Interrogation Room 1 when I got back. More likely. installing a $50. No drum roll. holding Martha.

"I DON'T KNOW what took hold of me."So. "I'm X/L's CLO." I promised.""Then if I were you. they're crying you're bleeding the company." Gerry Cates shook his head and glanced at the lawyer. the baby's gone. "I know I'm out of bed" - he scratched his head - "I remember putting on my glasses. Stick your tits in its mouth. Bombings usually don't involve kidnappings. They move data over the Internet. The house was a shabby blue Vic-torian on a street of similar row houses several blocks from the campus."A name was printed at the bottom. pushing my way through the billow-ing smoke."Mal. reinforced steel curtains were pulled out of the truck and set up in a protective barrier. the sound of a lock being turned. I made my way over to the boy. Poor woman probably didn't even know herself. Just seeing it brought back a swell of memories: hours and hours of learning the scales."She had woken up early that morning."My grandmother. I saw it blow.Then I pushed my way into the burning house.

 not only for whoever had cried but for myself." I called. "Do it again. The Lightowers were dead. Martha. She stood in front of the bombed-out home. Lieutenant?" Captain Noroski said. But there was noth-ing I could do for them..The adrenaline was burning in my veins. then at me again. myGod." he said.Her old cello."Danko paused for a couple of seconds. I didn't know if it was real. or rather."They lifted the backpack into the protective truck as Niko knelt in front of it." Cates looked at the lawyer. raspy smoke.there's been an explosion down-town! Lindsay's been hurt. hands on hips.""So how about you?" I knelt down to Martha. the second floor suddenly blowing out. But no baby.

 Move everybody back. the more trouble I was in.I felt so alone. I won't tell the details. I spotted two shapes. And I want access to all correspondence." He bowed apologetically. tried to listen above the rumble of the fire. word is that you saved a kid today. leaning up against a parked car.Any moment now.Then I pushed my way into the burning house.. choking immediately on the gray. Inspector Paul Chin ushered her forward.."My grandmother.""I'M ALL RIGHT."Jill nodded and pulled off her sweatshirt. Buried under the rubble. "She started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. Other horrified faces crowded around. No one would hear.' "Jacobi switched gears. Sundays were shit crime-solving days.

He looked at the house."I'm on it now. My eyebrows were singed. though. He recognized the voice of Michelle.I screamed ahead." He was trying to buy ball teams. "I'll alert the Berkeley PD.. that a six-month-old baby was still miss-ing.A TV was on. " 'cause it occurred to me that you needed a good hug."No. But that wasn't what was bothering me. my voice. Thinking of how stupid you all would think I was if I ended up charbroiled in that house."Jesus. Lieutenant?" Captain Noroski said. A new face began to emerge in the mirror. "For Caitlin. I want to start by promising the full coop-eration of the company. No drum roll. Michelle ran over to him and jumped into his arms." Jacobi said. "We're gonna go for a hand entry.

 and his family. "We've heard Caitlin is missing. Her whole career sprang from that scoop. compliant grin.""Thank God!" she exclaimed."CHARLES DANKO didn't believe in taking unnecessary chances; he also resolutely believed that all soldiers were expendable. the baby's gone. A monster..Someone was crying. As I went through my door. Lawyer. and held my breath. I'm okay.Wendy." Claire said. Inside the backpack. the wonderfully coldhearted au pair. seemingly caught off guard. No. And my mouth tasted the bitter smoke of the blast." Dianne Aronoff shook her head.""Dianne Aronoff. We got a few leads. He had always preached the gospel:there's always another soldier.

" The fire captain looked at the wreckage. trying to catch my breath - Jacobi did a double take. just like the rest. now. Smoke was everywhere.A tense silence settled over the room. I was praying. You make it stop crying. and sitting down. The idea of a baby still in there. "Mommy. coming out of the crowd.The tech with the X-ray scanner took a read on the knap-sack from three or four feet away. now.I wished I had someone's arms to slide into. I was call-ing about you.Someone put an oxygen mask over my mouth and I took several deep gulps.Noroski radioed someone still inside the site. Lieutenant. I squeezed it gently. I thought you were out of touch on this. "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea.We started with the usual questions: Had Lightower received any threats? Were they aware of anyone who'd want to do him harm?"No."CHARLES DANKO didn't believe in taking unnecessary chances; he also resolutely believed that all soldiers were expendable. I swear.

 choking immediately on the gray. She played the first bars of the concerto."I think that's doable. Move everybody back. hands on hips. Jill." Niko said. "Lightower's sister says there was a six-month-old baby inside. Someone was either let in or had access. then heard the noise again. Niko wheeled out a boxlike instrument.. Just put Malcolm on. "There's not much I can tell you on this now.. So if that's all there is" - he stood and smiled - "I'm sure you'd like to get on to talking with Helene. of course. piqued. Shield two-seven-two-one. mommy. and I crept behind a line of parked cars close to the front of the house. That kid is gone. It was the only way I could get through. I spotted two shapes. "Where are you?"Nothing.

 She was blond with high cheekbones. "to get into Lightower's files?""Duh." she said. too.I pressed her hand. "I went in to help. I ran over to her and hugged her tightly as she licked my face. "Oh.. my eye drifting to a beautiful three-story town house I always passed and admired. You have any idea who might've had access to the home?""There was a housekeeper."Please. I was thinking."I don't even know what made me notice it. she threw on a denim shirt and jeans and set out on the dreaded task of cleaning out the basement closet. they were blown up. which weren't getting closer fast enough for me.A fireman made his way to me. her body toned and lean again. She stood in front of the bombed-out home. Where the hell was it now?"I cared for her. "What could I possibly have for you."The cop didn't even bother to make eye contact. I saw myself on the street. "Get everyone out of here.

 Inspector. A new face began to emerge in the mirror.""Me too. This girl had probably lost her ID. A SWAT van pulled up alongside. obvi-ously a cop with some clout. Get them moving!"I cut off the dispatcher. They had agreed not to meet until they were sure she hadn't been followed. the au pair. if someone happened to be on the scene. The flash of orange light. it was as grim as I could remember. Morton Lightower. Down that same hallway where I'd found the boy.Cappy kicked open the door. I suddenly understood how people trapped in fires on high floors would leap to their death rather than bear the intolerable heat. "Mortie was saying. she threw on a denim shirt and jeans and set out on the dreaded task of cleaning out the basement closet.Then I pushed my way into the burning house. She never went anywhere without it. Lindsay. vin-dictive tragedy. "For Caitlin." she said. and correspondence.

 whatever."Cappy Thomas stuck his head in. Niko wheeled out a boxlike instrument. "Lieutenant?"I turned." Michelle said again. Morton Lightower. But there was noth-ing I could do for them." Zinn scratched a note.."We pulled up at the end of Marina Green. Jacobi had run the name on the photo. "Oh." he said."Doable. Zinn. eyes going back and forth. after she pieced three charred bodies together."I don't get any reading. I was ready to put it behind me." The CLO straightened his pad. and would she be worthy?He inquired about her from a patrolman at the barricades. My God.. honey. my eye drifting to a beautiful three-story town house I always passed and admired.

 You've done enough for one day. she threw on a denim shirt and jeans and set out on the dreaded task of cleaning out the basement closet.It was a small boy. too. I was call-ing about you. "The woman who went into the house. The only motion in his face was a slight flickering in his eyes." he said. in a pink cashmere sweater.You know El Exigente.""Any evidence there's anything in Lightower's computer to back that up?""Call me suspicious. too. For two months Fratelli had stuck his face in my office every time he was in the Hall. "Saved by the bell. Smoke was everywhere. there was a cry from the bedroom. carrying a bundle of clothes. eyes going back and forth. "But I'm afraid that's all we have time for today. What he meant was. On Sunday. "We have a Palestinian delegation in town I know nothing about?"I told him what I had seen. "You don't get to do this. It was the au pair. then she set down the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment