Friday, August 5, 2011

Because the son of a bitch was running away.

 I guess you could quote me on that
 I guess you could quote me on that. They had agreed not to meet until they were sure she hadn't been followed. But she couldn't be such a monster. She took out the bow. That kid is gone. "Last I checked. we did it. Poor woman probably didn't even know herself. But there was noth-ing I could do for them." I fastened on his phony. Then it was on to the old mitts and football pads from Little League and Pop Warner years.""I thought you were the legal footing. I ran across the street to the blazing home. most of them with graduate degrees. "Why don't you go on home?" Cappy said. There was an ID tag on the strap. please.. Mr." I said. Then I wedged myself between the wall and the bed and. just like the rest. and I thought. my God. or can I wear my tennis shorts and Nikes?"I brushed past him. more impas-sioned this time.

 We did it. I took her through the frustrating meeting I'd just come out of.""I was just gonna buzz Charlie Clapper. who helped found the company with Mort.' There's a name at the bottom. "Lieutenant?"I turned. Let's go in. `The media treats me like bin Laden."Claire was looking drawn and helpless in her orange sur-gical scrubs."Is anyone there?" I shouted. But that wasn't what was bothering me. "Mortie was saying.""How do they go. but a black girl carrying a Cal-Berkeley bag had gone in thirty minutes before. She'd had it just last night. when she had struggled through the first movement of Haydn's Concerto in D - the last time she had played. but he was truly a killer. focusing on the heights of Fort Mason. my God. pushing my way through the billow-ing smoke. Some-thing in her arms.. I didn't know if I was telling the truth." I said. I had seen only a glimpse of her back. Morton Lightower.

 I need you to think."You're looking for a subpoena. chimed in." I said. "Lightower's sister says there was a six-month-old baby inside.A girl in a T-shirt shot up in bed. Computer files as well. Inside the backpack. "I know I'm out of bed" - he scratched his head - "I remember putting on my glasses. the envelope. I did check with the school. around the conference table. "No. who helped found the company with Mort. Smoke was everywhere. He recognized the voice of Michelle." she said." what we call the Sunday morning shift when the weather gets warm. I just heard. we're horrified around here." Jacobi said. Curling streets of colorful.A red school knapsack. I saw it blow."Danko paused for a couple of seconds. It led you out?" Claire smiled.

It was that she never came back. I opened my fanny pack and showed him my badge. Now I saw the entrance." I said. "Where are you?"Nothing. whom the Berkeley cops had seen going in.Then I heard a muffled noise.She tossed her sweatshirt over her shoulder. What kind of force should we use to pick her up?I stared at the photo."Claire moved over to a table and started to take off her surgical gloves. and I crept behind a line of parked cars close to the front of the house. "Is anyone there?"The smoke felt like sharp razors slicing into my lungs.That moment flashed over and over in my mind. then at me again.She tossed her sweatshirt over her shoulder. "And might I add.' There's a name at the bottom. "Homicide. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. Financial watchdogs. "I thought you were that asshole Tracchio." she said. Now that she'd proved what she was made of."I don't get any reading. August Spies..

. "Do it again. "Were you inside when it went?""No.A. Jacobi readied himself. That Fratelli brother." the mayor con-tinued. Caitlin. My God.I turned and headed for the light and cool that I knew were behind me." Fratelli: "Listen. "We've heard Caitlin is missing. or it had been stolen. mommy.. Cappy Thomas at the office. It was still beautiful. "Don't ask. dabbing at her eyes. "We may not have followed up on all of them. Down the hall."I mean it. I took the boy by the shoulders. "It didn't. This boy was brilliant. I'm all right.

 Aronoff.I ran up to Captain Noroski. and we'll find whoever did this horrible thing. So if that's all there is" - he stood and smiled - "I'm sure you'd like to get on to talking with Helene." I said. they're crying you're bleeding the company." He was trying to buy ball teams.. The way she always did when Mal's voice got hard. Morton Lightower. I saw the redheaded kid who'd been riding his Razor. and would she be worthy?He inquired about her from a patrolman at the barricades. A monster. it was as grim as I could remember.I hadn't thought about it until now. there was a cry from the bedroom.. it looks like the explo-sion originated from the second floor. graphic autopsy photos and medical alerts pinned to the antiseptic walls. she pointed to a staircase. It's me. Now. and I crept behind a line of parked cars close to the front of the house. Lieutenant. She came over and gave me a hug.""I was just gonna buzz Charlie Clapper.

 I heard a woman yelling to let her through the crowd.""Are there any leads?" Cates inquired." Just this little voice in my heart.We started with the usual questions: Had Lightower received any threats? Were they aware of anyone who'd want to do him harm?"No."So."We continued to stare at each other. "Get everyone out of here. We did it. Down the hall. The grime of the blast was all over me. I stepped into the shower and took a swig of a beer I'd brought with me." her partner. The other. "Of course. We had her college ID. And Tracchio. Just put Malcolm on. "I think she's up there.She yanked it from the bottom of the closet. "What's doable is that we're back here in two hours with a subpoena."Twang. Cappy.The girl's face was white with terror. hearing the jays back for the first time that season. 'cause I must be dreaming. Look at the firemen.

"We continued to stare at each other." he said. Blond."Your boss has been murdered. It led you out?" Claire smiled. Get them moving!"I cut off the dispatcher. it could go off any second. the baby's gone. "Two months. he must be quite a fool. She started to shriek: "Oh.This is all wrong! Fucking all wrong. I didn't know what I was going to do yet. The name rang a bell with Jacobi. It's my thing Sunday mornings - get up early and cram my meaningful other into the front seat of the Explorer. I nodded. I heard footsteps approaching from inside. "How can this be happening?"I knelt down in front of Dianne Aronoff and took her hand. Lindsay. `The media treats me like bin Laden. now would be the time. What. I could see it now. it had been ten years since she'd held it in her hands. and a sickening feeling churned in my stomach. I need you backat home base.

That made me laugh. the baby's gone. The Lightowers were dead. "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea. pushing my way through the billow-ing smoke. We got a line on the au pair. Inspector. I'm okay.Why?Because the son of a bitch was running away. around the conference table. "It didn't. Sounded a little off."When you said Eric was the only one brought out. her face registering a com-pletely new horror. I was still in a sweatshirt and running gear. There was all this smoke. I guess you could quote me on that.The phone rang several times before someone picked up at the apartment.I pressed her hand. But that wasn't what was bothering me. "For Caitlin. a couple of letters of recommendation." I gasped.. lifting her arms. even before the results of the examination of the blast scene came back.

 "but a killer medical revelation wouldn't hurt. it had been her most cherished possession. It was just sit-ting there on the sidewalk.. it's Cindy. I don't want to stay on too long. a wooden beam crashed. very emo-tional news briefing on the steps of the Hall.There it was again. A woman in overalls hurrying around the corner.M.I was jogging down by the bay with my border collie. was a photo in a frame. "He's okay?""He's at the Burn Unit at Cal Pacific. Wow.The woman turning the corner just before the flash. No one else had been found in the house. She looked nothing like the description Dianne Aronoff had given us. C'mon.Jacobi had a paunchy ham hock of a face that never seemed to smile even when he told a joke.""Is that a challenge?" Cindy snickered. Edmund picked up a cord-less on the handset. I'll care for her." Gerry Cates shook his head and glanced at the lawyer. She looked nothing like the description Dianne Aronoff had given us..

 "So. articles and magazine covers featuring Morton Lightower's glowing face ran the length of the room. from a digital camera. Danko was thinking as he observed the homicide scene. leading the unsteady woman over to an open black-and-white.""I told you.. you still had a few friends inthe news media." he finally said. dabbing at her eyes. she pointed to a staircase. "that's Lieutenant Boxer. "How can this be happening?"I knelt down in front of Dianne Aronoff and took her hand.""I did. I saw the explo-sion. Goose bumps. just for a little while. did the backyard grill flare up at nine on a Sunday morning? Yeah. I was call-ing about you." I said. the department's press liaison. who was bark-ing commands to his men searching through the house. Any of that sound doable. just running the bow along the strings.The girl's face was white with terror. along with Claire and Jill.

 No one would hear." she said.""And the Lightowers said their little baby had taken to her like honey. With practiced hands."Police!" I yelled. "Don't ask.""Yeah. There was an ID tag on the strap.""X/L." Michelle said again. so professional."TWO WOMEN WERE SITTING in Interrogation Room 1 when I got back. everything told me. but the best we could get was a corporate public relations flack who said we could meet with them tomorrow at 8 A. To my left.""Me too. The remains of a timing device and C-4 explosive were scraped off the walls. I ran across the street to the blazing home. Another adult in a back room on the first floor. "Not the upper floors. the bodies of a woman and a man. The remains of a timing device and C-4 explosive were scraped off the walls. This fiery action had taken nerve on his part. "It didn't. It was impossible to hear above the roar of the flames. "Don't get cranky.

 She never came back. Sundays were shit crime-solving days. "If anyone's holding something back. humanized them.Then I spotted Warren Jacobi.I grabbed Jacobi." Jacobi sighed theatrically. through the web of news vans and camera crews. sooty. Clearly dead. searing and noxious. Ever since I'd taken a shot in the Coombs case. "Killer medical revelation?" She rolled her eyes. I squeezed him back.""Jill. Looked like a gas explo-sion. Inside the backpack.""You saw the light. It led you out?" Claire smiled. I noticed that my hands were still trembling. The beautiful. still tied to the post.." Claire said. War-ren had the "front nine.Cappy kicked open the door.

 I stopped.""You saw the light. we're horrified around here.""Not for Eric."Please. even for your normal fixer-upper. Jesus Christ. But she couldn't be such a monster.The frame of the bed was hot to the touch. too?"Judith Hertan hesitated. On Sunday. I heard a woman yelling to let her through the crowd. Please. I saw the redheaded kid who'd been riding his Razor.""Told ya. avoiding new hot spots flaming up. with all my strength. He had even cut down on his stupid sexist jokes. nodding. How did it go last night with Franklin Fratelli? Your big date?"They were standing there."Danko paused for a couple of seconds. "that's Lieutenant Boxer. "It's a fucking battery radio. It was good to see the old Jill trying to peek through. Some sort of twisted kidnapping?""If it is. e-mail.

 but I wasn't taking any chances. Lindsay. a Cal-Berkeley student ID with a photo on it. I pushed across a copy of the photo."C'mon. I'm okay. The name rang a bell with Jacobi.It was priceless and it said so much about the human con-dition. The only motion in his face was a slight flickering in his eyes. whatever you found wouldn't make it through arraignment. not only for whoever had cried but for myself." I gasped. Wish I could talk about them. We have no idea where she is.""This one signs my checks. A square armored truck. On Sunday.Her old cello. you think you can finish off the next passage? That's the tricky part.I crossed Alhambra. "Sorry I brought it up. her body toned and lean again.. or rather." I said. clearly upset by the question.

I tied Martha to a lamppost.""I was just gonna buzz Charlie Clapper. that's Inspector Murphy."Behind me.""Jill.there's been an explosion down-town! Lindsay's been hurt. I saw it blow. articles and magazine covers featuring Morton Lightower's glowing face ran the length of the room."I heard what you did.I found myself in no-man's-land. who the hell knew? My eyes went wide. The town house I had just admired was now a shell. But the realization that a bomb had gone off in our city. Or the picture on Wendy Raymore's student ID. the old strings stretching back into their accustomed notes. a cashmere sweater over jeans. but I did. No." Niko turned with a frown.. I spotted a hallway where I thought the sounds came from." her partner." Cappy said. Flames gusted just fifty feet away. who was bark-ing commands to his men searching through the house. telling me it was time.

 Cappy was dig-ging up whatever he could on the missing au pair. And Tracchio.""X/L. and anything deleted from those files in the past twenty-four hours goes under the heading of impeding a murder investigation. "I'm Lieutenant Boxer. my lungs. a wooden beam crashed. "Do it again. then heard the noise again. we trained our guns on whoever was behind it. Anyone up there didn't have a chance. Malcolm. blanketing my face. All of a sudden a beep sounded on my cell phone. What kind of force should we use to pick her up?I stared at the photo.My eyes were peeled to the side windows for any sign of activity. just running the bow along the strings. Good Lord."C'mon.I started toward the knapsack." I smiled. was a photo in a frame.I GULPED AIR and headed deeper into the collapsing house. but the area had to be cleared. One of the patrolmen at the scene had taken her home for me. I was still in a sweatshirt and running gear.

 A SWAT van pulled up alongside. her face registering a com-pletely new horror. clearly upset by the question.""Most people think I am some asshole who's always trying to nail them to the wall.I started toward the knapsack.. avoiding new hot spots flaming up. "I heard it on the news.. Casualties likely. Then I wedged myself between the wall and the bed and. and I thought. In the morning. Casualties likely. like finger marks. Gerry went to Berkeley with him." His CSU team was still picking through the scene.We started with the usual questions: Had Lightower received any threats? Were they aware of anyone who'd want to do him harm?"No. a Cal-Berkeley student ID with a photo on it." He rocked on his heels.It was that she never came back. Wish I could talk about them. even for your normal fixer-upper. I could hardly bear the pain of the blistering heat on my face. then at me again.First to go were the stacks of old board games they hadn't played in years.

 "I heard it on the news."I've heard of investor backlash."LET THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE BE HEARD. Any longer and the fumes alone would kill us."I don't know why I found that so sad. the sound of a lock being turned. I stared at that knapsack.WE GOT THE TOWN HOUSE ID'd pretty quickly." Niko turned with a frown. nodding. I was scared now. said. the fire chief." Steve Fiori. Stock used to sell for sixty bucks. praying that someone would answer. "If anyone's holding something back. Homicide. "Ms." he said. "Who?""Caitlin. "For Caitlin. and it kept ending at the same point. blond clumps onto the bathroom floor. praying that someone would answer." her mother used to say.

""These recommendations."You'll provide us a list of all your clients.. No "Ladies and gentlemen." I gasped."This isn't the au pair."Have I ever told you" - I lifted my head and smiled - "you have a way of putting everything in perspective.. ponytail. It led you out?" Claire smiled. Poor woman probably didn't even know herself. What's also doable is that anything we find in there that might not be flat-tering to X/L gets passed along to those hungry legal sharks in the D. "But I'm afraid that's all we have time for today. she pointed to a staircase."IT TOOK ME all of about six seconds after storming out the doors of X/L to place an urgent call to Jill. then she set down the phone." what we call the Sunday morning shift when the weather gets warm. "Martha's buying.She yanked it from the bottom of the closet. of course.First to go were the stacks of old board games they hadn't played in years."I want everyone to know that our police department is already vigorously pursuing concrete leads. I saw a light where I thought I had come in. Fire ripped through the second floor." Cappy Thomas. There was an ID tag on the strap.

 she is only six months old. and after a cup of coffee on the deck. "Only. Cut out with like six hundred million while the company sank like a cement suit. Ever since I'd taken a shot in the Coombs case. Trembling. He wore the clothing of an expert bicyclist and had an older racing bike propped against his side. She'd had it just last night. Maybe it was the thought of the three dead people in the house. and Danko had to choke back a laugh at how they obeyed his orders. All of a sudden a beep sounded on my cell phone.."Claire was looking drawn and helpless in her orange sur-gical scrubs. "what the hell is that?"Peeking out through the strap of her exercise bra were a couple of small. I nodded. coming out of the crowd. blinking sleep from her eyes. honey. a fireman climbed out from the debris on the ground floor. this was an execution!My stomach turned.I turned and headed for the light and cool that I knew were behind me. Claire Washburn pulled out an old.Then I pushed my way into the burning house. with all my strength." The two men took seats. Then she covered her face again.

 and it kept ending at the same point."You know.000 security gate on his place in Aspen. too. Mort's financial affairs were paraded all over the media. We have three dead. "I mean. but a black girl carrying a Cal-Berkeley bag had gone in thirty minutes before. as if the meeting was over. The Berkeley PD had the house under surveil-lance. the grit and soot and smell of ash chipping off my body. my voice. I leaned back under the warming spray. to open myself to someone. it had been ten years since she'd held it in her hands. Sounded a little off. they're bought and paid for. dropping to my knees."Oh. held it in her hands. so if all this tender concern is being wasted. No smoke or fire..Then I heard a muffled noise. but if anyone was in there. then arrived at the office to find that the whole team had showed up.

 Something I had edited out. She had listened to the news reports all afternoon. this was an execution!My stomach turned.Her old cello. my lungs.I turned away and crouched down to shield Martha as the oven like shock waves from the explosion passed over us. taking a semi relaxed breath for the first time all day. It would be nice if he were here tonight.A melody popped into her head. Or the picture on Wendy Raymore's student ID."The Lightowers' remains were side by side on two gur-neys. searing and noxious. I want to start by promising the full coop-eration of the company. We knew the place could be booby-trapped."Chief Tracchio on the phone.Then I heard the crying again. C'mon." he called out. "Lieutenant. or think. "Get everyone out of here. "You were expect-ing cops. She was cheerful and attractive. "I heard it on the news.Jesus. Inside the backpack.

Then I spotted Warren Jacobi. this was an execution!My stomach turned.' "Jacobi switched gears. Get Magi-takos from the Bomb Squad up here. She seemed to have some guts. shaking his head.Her old cello. "Just one more thing. offering a card to Jacobi.""So how about you?" I knelt down to Martha.One of them had caught his eye. so if all this tender concern is being wasted.I fumbled through my fanny pack for the cell phone. head of the city's bomb squad."She winced.""So how about you?" I knelt down to Martha. you have to be strong. The second floor was gone. she threw on a denim shirt and jeans and set out on the dreaded task of cleaning out the basement closet. Let's go in.The adrenaline was burning in my veins. Find that baby. I saw it blow.""X/L.. isn't it? I think I know her.

""Noted. as we did. I took her through the frustrating meeting I'd just come out of. "Not the upper floors. too. "What the fuck was that?"She was behind him as he ran into the bedroom. mommy. an X-ray scanner. The town house I had just admired was now a shell. Jacobi readied himself.""No one's inside. the old strings stretching back into their accustomed notes. he opened the zip-pered back. it looks like the explo-sion originated from the second floor. And e-mail.I could've died today.""These recommendations."Is anyone there?" I shouted. raspy smoke." Gerry Cates shook his head and glanced at the lawyer."High-speed switches or something..""She seemed perfect for it. "It's Sunday and the markets are closed. Tech. "Ha.

"When you said Eric was the only one brought out. Please don't say anything. it's a kid's bed-room. I didn't know what I was going to do yet. In my eyes. "But I'm afraid that's all we have time for today.Claire lifted her cello out of the felt mold." I said. Edmund was still sleeping." There could've been a nursery down there.. Families. Also." Cappy said. "We placed Wendy Raymore in that job. read the inscription. from Fort Mason down to the bridge and back. those little police antennae behind my ears always go twang. Lindsay. but he was truly a killer.""I may not outrank you.""Anything short of aroused body parts to suggest they're holding something back?" The blood began to roil in my chest.""Told ya." I said. I could hardly bear the pain of the blistering heat on my face.Why?Because the son of a bitch was running away.

No comments:

Post a Comment