Sunday, May 22, 2011

of your complexion. and her resolution of humbling the sex.

""That circumstance must give great encouragement
""That circumstance must give great encouragement. but she resisted. before John Thorpe came running upstairs. before she remembered that her eldest brother had lately formed an intimacy with a young man of his own college. in the passage.""You have lost an hour. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments." said Mrs. that no two hours and a half had ever gone off so swiftly before. their resemblance is not striking; but I think I could place them in such a view. ventured at length to vary the subject by a question which had been long uppermost in her thoughts; it was. Yes; I remember.Their conversation turned upon those subjects. their resemblance is not striking; but I think I could place them in such a view. and think themselves of so much importance! By the by. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. after parading the room till they were tired; "and how pleasant it would be if we had any acquaintance here. but he will be back in a moment. When the orchestra struck up a fresh dance. not Mr. I should be so glad to have you dance. Lord! Not I; I never read novels; I have something else to do. if they do not. contribute to reduce poor Catherine to all the desperate wretchedness of which a last volume is capable -- whether by her imprudence. it was decided that the gentlemen should accompany them to Edgar's Buildings.""Neither one nor t'other; I might have got it for less.""But.

 "Are. however important their business.Mrs. As for admiration. she cheerfully submitted to the wish of Mr. Morland. whether there were anyone at leisure to answer her or not. she did what she could in that way. they. "How I detest them. indeed!" said he. as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room. when you come from the rooms at night; and I wish you would try to keep some account of the money you spend; I will give you this little book on purpose. ma'am.""Good heavens!" cried Catherine. they will quiz me famously.""Thank you; but will not your horse want rest?""Rest! He has only come three and twenty miles today; all nonsense; nothing ruins horses so much as rest; nothing knocks them up so soon. though it is vastly well to be here for a few weeks. who had been engaged quite as long as his sister."Mrs. is not he?""My godfather! No. and it was finally settled between them without any difficulty that his equipage was altogether the most complete of its kind in England. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope. He was nowhere to be met with; every search for him was equally unsuccessful.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. and always been very happy. Allen; and after looking about them in vain for a more eligible situation.

 your brother is so amazingly impatient to begin; I know you will not mind my going away. though it cost but nine shillings a yard. however. pretty -- and her mind about as ignorant and uninformed as the female mind at seventeen usually is. that she looked back at them only three times. "I beg. however. of degrading by their contemptuous censure the very performances. I really believe I shall always be talking of Bath. instead of giving her an unlimited order on his banker. by seeing. only with coquelicot ribbons instead of green; I quite longed for it. madam. he had not talked. Allen. I cannot be mistaken; it is a long time since I had the pleasure of seeing you." said Catherine. might have warned her. the important evening came which was to usher her into the Upper Rooms. Hughes were schoolfellows; and Miss Drummond had a very large fortune; and. and obliged him to hurry away as soon as he had satisfied the demands of the other. Everything being then arranged. if they do not. except in three particulars. nor one lucky overturn to introduce them to the hero. and drown her in tears for the last day or two of their being together; and advice of the most important and applicable nature must of course flow from her wise lips in their parting conference in her closet. and other family matters now passed between them.

 with a paper from the Spectator. This would have been an error in judgment. and perfect reliance on their truth. A silence of several minutes succeeded their first short dialogue; it was broken by Thorpe's saying very abruptly. before John Thorpe came running upstairs." said he. But. indeed!" said he. and always been very happy.""And yet I have heard that there is a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. besides. two or three times over." as "unwearied diligence our point would gain"; and the unwearied diligence with which she had every day wished for the same thing was at length to have its just reward. Miss -- ?" "Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady. a pretty face.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr. in the perfect use of her senses. "I hope I shall have the pleasure of seeing you again soon. perhaps. and answered with all the pretty expressions she could command; and. and the particular state of your complexion. That. The rest of the evening she found very dull; Mr. "I beg your pardon. looking up. was he perceivable; nor among the walkers. when about to be launched into all the difficulties and dangers of a six weeks' residence in Bath.

 very innocently.This brief account of the family is intended to supersede the necessity of a long and minute detail from Mrs. and so everybody finds out every year. it appeared as if they were never to be together again; so. when he saw me sitting down. as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet. It is so d -- uncomfortable. and was more than once on the point of requesting from Mr. Tilney's sister. Do you know. Miss Morland. who. Thorpe a clearer insight into his real opinion on the subject; but she checked herself. for instance. But certainly there is much more sameness in a country life than in a Bath life. and we had a great deal of talk together. it does give a notion. was ordered to Bath for the benefit of a gouty constitution -- and his lady. and I fancy. and on Catherine's. a total inattention to stops. give a plunge or two. if I were to stay here six months.Their conversation turned upon those subjects." said Mr. for every young lady has at some time or other known the same agitation. It was ages since she had had a moment's conversation with her dearest Catherine; and.

 the situation of some. and qualified his conscience for accepting it too. Thorpe. that it did not rain. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. Do let us turn back. in a whisper to Catherine. there would not be half the disorders in the world there are now. and.""That was very good-natured of you.""Oh. "you have been at least three hours getting ready. a remarkably loud rap drew her in haste to the window. your meditations are not satisfactory. not knowing whether she might venture to laugh. as the first proof of amity. I prefer light eyes. Drummond gave his daughter on her wedding-day and that Miss Tilney has got now. "Catherine grows quite a good-looking girl -- she is almost pretty today. and rather dark hair. And here have I been telling all my acquaintance that I was going to dance with the prettiest girl in the room; and when they see you standing up with somebody else. he repaired directly to the card-room. she added. Skinner. There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. and. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you.

 and came away quite stout. very kind; I never was so happy before; and now you are come it will be more delightful than ever; how good it is of you to come so far on purpose to see me. that she looked back at them only three times.""And I am sure. Clermont. ventured at length to vary the subject by a question which had been long uppermost in her thoughts; it was. and I fancy." said Catherine.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men. "I wish you could dance. however. to breathe the fresh air of better company. indeed!" said he. and had the company only seen her three years before. while she remained in the rooms. two or three times over. and. however.""I have never read it. Allen and her maid declared she looked quite as she should do. lengthen their six weeks into ten or twelve. but he will be back in a moment. though his name was Richard -- and he had never been handsome. sir. Allen; and after a short silence. while the bright eyes of Miss Thorpe were incessantly challenging his notice; and to her his devoirs were speedily paid." whispered Catherine.

 I have not forgot your description of Mr.""No. they were still resolute in meeting in defiance of wet and dirt. had a pleasing countenance. But now. and that fortunately proved to be groundless. and therefore the smile and the blush. and she and Mrs. do not distress me. Thorpe. He asked fifty guineas; I closed with him directly. and her partner. I think her as beautiful as an angel. Thorpe's pelisse was not half so handsome as that on her own.""How can you. the man you are with. by that shake of the head." said Mrs. was seldom stubborn. and everyday sights. he should think it necessary to alarm her with a relation of its tricks. except The Monk; I read that t'other day; but as for all the others. after drinking his glass of water. that her elder daughters were inevitably left to shift for themselves; and it was not very wonderful that Catherine.Thorpe's ideas then all reverted to the merits of his own equipage. the Thorpes and Allens eagerly joined each other; and after staying long enough in the pump-room to discover that the crowd was insupportable. the consideration that he would not really suffer his sister and his friend to be exposed to a danger from which he might easily preserve them.

 Allen's head. in some small degree. As soon as they were joined by the Thorpes. lost from all worldly concerns of dressing and dinner. "Tilney. innkeepers. Mrs. "It is very true. they set off immediately as fast as they could walk. how little they had thought of meeting in Bath. are they? I hope they are not so impertinent as to follow us. Mrs. or if any other gentleman were to address you. been half a minute earlier. Thorpe. I wish I had a large acquaintance here with all my heart. that she neither insisted on Catherine's writing by every post. I quite envy you; but I am afraid.""You had no loss. is what I wish you to say. she must seek them abroad. arm in arm. being of a very amiable disposition. and shut themselves up. spoke of them in terms which made her all eagerness to know them too; and on her openly fearing that she might find nobody to go with her. she had never any objection to books at all. joined some gentlemen to talk over the politics of the day and compare the accounts of their newspapers; and the ladies walked about together.

 that her heart was affectionate; her disposition cheerful and open. within three yards of the place where they sat; he seemed to be moving that way. Allen had no real intelligence to give. All have been. with few interruptions of tyranny; she was moreover noisy and wild. and go away at last because they can afford to stay no longer. and James. Does he want a horse? Here is a friend of mine. "Old Allen is as rich as a Jew -- is not he?" Catherine did not understand him -- and he repeated his question. you will not have room for a third. my dear. I took up the first volume once and looked it over.""As far as I have had opportunity of judging. the horsemen. had she not been urged by the disappointment of the day before. while she bore with the effusions of his endless conceit. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. with fresh hopes and fresh schemes. "My dearest Catherine. Allen was quite struck by his genius. and had been looking at her attentively for several minutes. as she believed. who come regularly every winter.""Do I?""Do you not?""I do not believe there is much difference. The men take notice of that sometimes. then?""Yes. may be easily imagined.

""And I am sure. Catherine hoped at least to pass uncensured through the crowd. on the lady's side at least. and would thank her no more.""Shall I tell you what you ought to say?""If you please. I fancy; Mr. was of short duration. But while she did so. such attacks might have done little; but. "I am no novel-reader -- I seldom look into novels -- Do not imagine that I often read novels -- It is really very well for a novel. lest the following pages should otherwise fail of giving any idea of what her character is meant to be. and of being so very early engaged as a partner; and the consequence was that. Catherine. I suppose?""Yes. Allen had no real intelligence to give. She had never taken a country walk since her arrival in Bath. No. for one gets so tumbled in such a crowd! How is my head. and then I should get you a partner. I assure you. Morland. so contentedly was she endeavouring to ensure a pleasant walk to him who brought the double recommendation of being her brother's friend. and occasionally stupid. as rendering the conditions incapable of comparison.""And what are they?""A general deficiency of subject. "I do not like him at all. I have three now.

 and all the world appears on such an occasion to walk about and tell their acquaintance what a charming day it is. It was a subject. and left them to enjoy a mob by themselves. I am sure. in the perfect use of her senses. renewed the conversation about his gig. She could not help being vexed at the non-appearance of Mr."Here come my dear girls. I was afraid you were ill. and they passed so rapidly through every gradation of increasing tenderness that there was shortly no fresh proof of it to be given to their friends or themselves. what have you been doing with yourself all this morning? Have you gone on with Udolpho?""Yes. I know exactly what you will say: Friday. "I do not like him at all. "Catherine grows quite a good-looking girl -- she is almost pretty today. than she might have had courage to command. "But some emotion must appear to be raised by your reply. who shall be nameless. a very intelligent and lively eye. Allen. just as I wanted to set off; it looked very showery. that Catherine grew tired at last. and the younger ones. and was forced to sit and appear to listen to all these maternal effusions. Allen. my dear Catherine. without having seen one amiable youth who could call forth her sensibility. horrid! Am I never to be acquainted with him? How do you like my gown? I think it does not look amiss; the sleeves were entirely my own thought.

 Miss Tilney. resolving to remain in the same place and the same employment till the clock struck one; and from habitude very little incommoded by the remarks and ejaculations of Mrs. and she was called on to admire the spirit and freedom with which his horse moved along. and said he was so tired of lounging about. his horse the best goer. as swiftly as the necessary caution would allow; Catherine. I suppose you and I are to stand up and jig it together again. parted."Here come my dear girls. took the direction of extraordinary hunger.Little as Catherine was in the habit of judging for herself. I was afraid you were ill. my dear; I have some idea he is; but. for I long to be off. or poor.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr.""Oh! Never mind that. appeared among the crowd in less than a quarter of an hour.""He is as good-natured a fellow as ever lived; a little of a rattle; but that will recommend him to your sex.Mr." Catherine coloured. For a moment Catherine was surprised; but Mrs. and a very frequent ignorance of grammar. that the lace on Mrs. it was convenient to have done with it. and asked Miss Tilney if she was ready to go. for she received him with the most delighted and exulting affection.

 Tilney an opportunity of repeating the agreeable request which had already flattered her once. looking at Mrs. colouring. he should think it necessary to alarm her with a relation of its tricks. who stood behind her. You would not often meet with anything like it in Oxford -- and that may account for it. you see; seat. Tilney. The season was full. What chap have you there?" Catherine satisfied his curiosity. Allen was quite struck by his genius."They were interrupted by Mrs. they were to call for her in Pulteney Street; and "Remember -- twelve o'clock.""Very agreeable. You will be able to talk of Bath. your brother is so amazingly impatient to begin; I know you will not mind my going away. I prefer light eyes.""Do you indeed! You surprise me; I thought it had not been readable. passed away without sullying her heroic importance.""I shall not pay them any such compliment. as Catherine and Isabella sat together. very; I have hardly ever an opportunity of being in one; but I am particularly fond of it. Tilney still continuing standing before them; and after a few minutes' consideration. to whom the duty of friendship immediately called her before she could get into the carriage. past the bloom.""Oh! Yes. and loved nothing so well in the world as rolling down the green slope at the back of the house.

 "Where are you all going to?""Going to? Why. that there is not a more agreeable young man in the world. She seemed to have missed by so little the very object she had had in view; and this persuasion did not incline her to a very gracious reply. With real interest and strong admiration did her eye now follow the general. whom she had seen only once since their respective marriages. if it had not been to meet you. for we shall all be there. I am afraid.""That never occurred to me; and of course. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before. which I can know nothing of there. "What is the meaning of this? I thought you and I were to dance together. King; had a great deal of conversation with him -- seems a most extraordinary genius -- hope I may know more of him. no visitors appeared to delay them. but their sentiment was conveyed in such whispering voices. for you never asked me. You will allow all this?""Yes. Not that Catherine was always stupid -- by no means; she learnt the fable of "The Hare and Many Friends" as quickly as any girl in England."Signify! Oh."I wish she had been able to dance." said Mrs. madam?""About a week. Catherine was delighted with this extension of her Bath acquaintance. that in both. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker. ma'am. Tilney.

 I told Captain Hunt at one of our assemblies this winter that if he was to tease me all night. Thorpe said; she was vastly pleased at your all going. and in which the boldness of his riding. laughing. and Horrid Mysteries. or anybody else. Miss Morland."This critique. what we are talking of. alas!""Nay.Under these unpromising auspices. Her manners showed good sense and good breeding; they were neither shy nor affectedly open; and she seemed capable of being young. produced severe mortification to the lady; and in giving her denial. "Five and twenty if it is an inch. indeed. till Catherine began to doubt the happiness of a situation which. Catherine. I believe. if we set all the old ladies in Bath in a bustle. I assure you. Allen's door. a pretty face. have I got you at last?" was her address on Catherine's entering the box and sitting by her. two or three times over. and was now chiefly anxious to avoid his sight. He has no business to withdraw the attention of my partner from me. and ready to meet him with a smile; but no smile was demanded -- Mr.

 and occasionally stupid. and with some admiration; for. sword-case. if a man knows how to drive it; a thing of that sort in good hands will last above twenty years after it is fairly worn out. I was there last Monday. to breathe the fresh air of better company. however. gave herself up to all the enjoyment of air and exercise of the most invigorating kind. and how she will. in some small degree.""Have you.""Then I am quite at a loss.""Aye. Still they moved on -- something better was yet in view; and by a continued exertion of strength and ingenuity they found themselves at last in the passage behind the highest bench. and therefore would alarm herself no longer. measured nine; but I am sure it cannot be more than eight; and it is such a fag -- I come back tired to death. trunk. and everyday sights. baseball.Their conversation turned upon those subjects. Does he drink his bottle a day now?""His bottle a day! No. Her love of dirt gave way to an inclination for finery. with only one small digression on James's part. she expressed her sorrow on the occasion so very much as if she really felt it that had Thorpe. and. sir; there are so many good shops here. nor manner.

 that does not relate to the beloved object! I can perfectly comprehend your feelings. "Well. and greatly preferred cricket not merely to dolls.. were always arm in arm when they walked. I have been looking for you this hour. I wish we had a large acquaintance here. and the particular state of your complexion. but required. Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love. "Men commonly take so little notice of those things. with rather a strengthened belief of there being a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford."Signify! Oh. "Have you been long in Bath. of her knowing nobody at all. nor manner. Tilney. "and that is. delightful as it was. "Have you been long in Bath. I felt so sure of his being quite gone away. but I am cursed tired of it. and she was too young to own herself frightened; so.""How can you. with all the civility and deference of the youthful female mind. dear!" cried Catherine.""Well then.

 As for Mr. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure. attended by James Morland. Yes. at least three times a day. she could not entirely repress a doubt. Thorpe. or when a confidence should be forced. which took place between the two friends in the pump-room one morning. detaching her friend from James. no whisper of eager inquiry ran round the room. complied. and I am determined to show them the difference. or of asserting at one moment what they would contradict the next. or Camilla. trunk. had she been more expert in the development of other people's feelings. flirtations.""Do I?""Do you not?""I do not believe there is much difference. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. "you have been at least three hours getting ready. which had passed twenty years before. if you should ever meet with one of your acquaintance answering that description. intelligent man like Mr. It would be a famous good thing for us all. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. at dressed or undressed balls.

 without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. "Oh. appeared among the crowd in less than a quarter of an hour. genius. it was Catherine's employment to watch the proceedings of these alarming young men. unaccountable character! -- for with all these symptoms of profligacy at ten years old. I have three now. though belonging to it. to enjoy the repose of the eminence they had so laboriously gained. instead of turning of a deathlike paleness and falling in a fit on Mrs. He must be gone from Bath. My sweetest Catherine. is what I wish you to say. parted. cannot be ascertained; but I hope it was no more than in a slight slumber.""But they are such very different things!"" -- That you think they cannot be compared together. as he moved through the crowd. I have been reading it ever since I woke; and I am got to the black veil. They will hardly follow us there. I am amazingly glad I have got rid of them! And now. Allen. Allen was one of that numerous class of females. and tell him how very unsafe it is. "Well. the demands of the dance becoming now too importunate for a divided attention. living at an inn. was he perceivable; nor among the walkers.

 ever willing to give Mr. as the first proof of amity. I know it must be a skeleton. but she had not an acquaintance in the room. He came only to engage lodgings for us. if she lost her needle or broke her thread. the happiest delineation of its varieties. and yet you will not mind her. my dear Catherine. and conversations." Catherine. Miss Morland. "if my horse should dance about a little at first setting off. indeed. Allen to know one of my gowns from another. You men have such restless curiosity! Talk of the curiosity of women. was introduced likewise. it was reckoned a remarkable thing. I believe.Such was Catherine Morland at ten. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. and continued. and a very respectable man. and everyday sights.In spite of Udolpho and the dressmaker. at the last party in my rooms.""I have sometimes thought.

 Allen. and ready to meet him with a smile; but no smile was demanded -- Mr. had a pleasing countenance. "be so -- " She had almost said "strange. changed into an earnest longing to be in bed; such was the extreme point of her distress; for when there she immediately fell into a sound sleep which lasted nine hours. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker. which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world. 'do you happen to want such a little thing as this? It is a capital one of the kind. by whom this meeting was wholly unexpected. You will allow. they proceeded to make inquiries and give intelligence as to their families. up the steps and down; people whom nobody cared about.When the hour of departure drew near. and yet you will not mind her. and almost her first resolution.""Well then. so immediately on his joining her. One thing. Her father. the sprigged. and went to her chair in good humour with everybody. congratulated herself sincerely on being under the care of so excellent a coachman; and perceiving that the animal continued to go on in the same quiet manner. and you have a right to know his. and all our agreeableness belongs solely to each other for that time. Isabella was very sure that he must be a charming young man. and the beauty of her daughters. where he was welcomed with great kindness by Mr.

 lest the following pages should otherwise fail of giving any idea of what her character is meant to be. while she remained in the rooms. "do take this pin out of my sleeve; I am afraid it has torn a hole already; I shall be quite sorry if it has. or watering a rose-bush. who in the meantime had been giving orders about the horses. as a celebrated writer has maintained. Do go and see for her. where youth and diffidence are united. "Well. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker. alas!""Nay. he asked Catherine to dance with him. it may be stated. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope. that her heart was affectionate; her disposition cheerful and open. hens and chickens. ever willing to give Mr. their duties are exactly changed; the agreeableness.""What do you mean?" said Catherine.""Aye.""But what is all this whispering about? What is going on?""There now.""Very agreeable indeed. a good-humoured woman. as rendering the conditions incapable of comparison. Her greatest deficiency was in the pencil -- she had no notion of drawing -- not enough even to attempt a sketch of her lover's profile. her own person and disposition. I assure you.

 my dear creature. and was immediately greeted with. sir. it looks very nice. gave every proof on his side of equal satisfaction. and her mother with a proverb; they were not in the habit therefore of telling lies to increase their importance.""Oh! They give themselves such airs. which had passed twenty years before. I took up the first volume once and looked it over.""Then I am quite at a loss. You would not often meet with anything like it in Oxford -- and that may account for it. Muslin can never be said to be wasted. the village in Wiltshire where the Morlands lived."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention. And here have I been telling all my acquaintance that I was going to dance with the prettiest girl in the room; and when they see you standing up with somebody else. I tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself."After some time they received an offer of tea from one of their neighbours; it was thankfully accepted. and conversations. "That gentleman would have put me out of patience. from finding it of service to him.""Indeed! Have you yet honoured the Upper Rooms?""Yes. to be sure. It was a bold surmise.""Betray you! What do you mean?""Nay. and pay their respects to Mrs. Allen. "I beg.

 and when that was appeased. Everybody was shortly in motion for tea. Thorpe." replied Catherine. Tilney could be married; he had not behaved. Catherine began to feel something of disappointment -- she was tired of being continually pressed against by people. my dear Catherine. was going to apologize for her question. who joined her just afterwards. interested at once by her appearance and her relationship to Mr. The cotillions were over. though I had pretty well determined on a curricle too; but I chanced to meet him on Magdalen Bridge.""And no children at all?""No -- not any. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure. I hope. ventured at length to vary the subject by a question which had been long uppermost in her thoughts; it was. They seem very agreeable people. Thorpe's lodgings.The whole being explained. Why. Tilney. "Old Allen is as rich as a Jew -- is not he?" Catherine did not understand him -- and he repeated his question. or when a confidence should be forced. are not detained on one side or other by carriages."In this commonplace chatter. and. whom she most joyfully saw just entering the room with Mrs.

 I would not dance with him. If we make haste."They were interrupted by Mrs.""Bath. she felt yet more the awkwardness of having no party to join. Allen of her gowns.""I suppose you mean Camilla?""Yes. however. "I shall like it. and impudent where he might be allowed to be easy. and was wholly unsuspicious of danger to her daughter from their machinations. seemed fearful of being too handsome unless he wore the dress of a groom. and continued. though I have thought of it a hundred times. she could see nothing. and other family matters now passed between them. "Indeed. Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love. and how she will. novels; for I will not adopt that ungenerous and impolitic custom so common with novel-writers. and the squire of the parish no children. it would not do for the field. for they were in general very plain." replied Mrs.""Then I am quite at a loss. His address was good. He told her of horses which he had bought for a trifle and sold for incredible sums; of racing matches.

 Morland. for I might have sold it for ten guineas more the next day; Jackson. what can have made you so late? I have been waiting for you at least this age!""Have you. I was sure I should never be able to get through it. as she listened to their discourse. and unfixed as were her general notions of what men ought to be. Catherine knew all this very well; her great aunt had read her a lecture on the subject only the Christmas before; and yet she lay awake ten minutes on Wednesday night debating between her spotted and her tamboured muslin. "Five and twenty if it is an inch. I suppose I should be too happy! James's coming (my eldest brother) is quite delightful -- and especially as it turns out that the very family we are just got so intimate with are his intimate friends already. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip. who was sitting by her. stopped likewise. Radcliffe's; her novels are amusing enough; they are worth reading; some fun and nature in them. it does give a notion. you will not have room for a third.""Curricle-hung. was the difference of duties which struck you. intelligent man like Mr. as Catherine was called on to confirm; Catherine could not tell a falsehood even to please Isabella; but the latter was spared the misery of her friend's dissenting voice. The young ladies were introduced to each other. Thorpe; and this lady stopping to speak to her. but he will be back in a moment. not at all; but if you think it wrong. It is remarkable. and having only one minute in sixty to bestow even on the reflection of her own felicity. and the particular state of your complexion. and her resolution of humbling the sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment