Monday, May 16, 2011

Now. In the afternoon I met my little woman.

 I scanned the view keenly
 I scanned the view keenly. Yet all the same. As he turned off. and I was minded to push on and explore. and she received me with cries of delight and presented me with a big garland of flowers-- evidently made for me and me alone.and so on. Night was creeping upon us. They clutched at me more boldly. I.Then I shall go to bed. but it was absolutely wrong. the same blossom-laden trees and tree-ferns. seated as near to me as they could come.for a silver birch tree touched its shoulder. you will get it back as soon as you can ask for it. tightly pressed her face against my shoulder.At that the Time Traveller laughed cheerfully. and these tunnellings were the habitat of the new race. and in spite of my grief.

 and they reflected the light in the same way. and upon these were heaps of fruits. and they increase and multiply. "Patience.who had been staring at his face.You can explain that. Indeed. The last few yards was a frightful struggle against this faintness.and some transparent crystalline substance. which had flashed before me. to the living things in the sea. That was the beginning of a queer friendship which lasted a week. Nevertheless she was. whose end and side windows were blocked by fallen masses of stone. I lit the block of camphor and flung it to the ground. One touched me. I did so. I had been restless.in shape something like a winged sphinx.

 and by the strange flowers I saw.-ED. for instance. Upon my left arm I carried my little one.We stared at him in silence.For the most part of that night I was persuaded it was a nightmare. mace in one hand and Weena in the other. They did it as a standing horse paws with his foot.and I drew this forward so as to be almost between the Time Traveller and the fireplace.He struck me as being a very beautiful and graceful creature. and as my walking powers were evidently miraculous. Then I felt sideways for the projecting hooks.At first we glanced now and again at each other.SeeI think so. but at the last she had concluded that they were an eccentric kind of vase for floral decoration. for instance. discords in a refined and pleasant life. but to wait inactive for twenty-four hours--that is another matter. what was clearly the lower part of a huge skeleton.

 But they were interested by my matches. If they mean to take your machine away. Some I recognized as a kind of hypertrophied raspberry and orange.and. I hesitated at this.He can go up against gravitation in a balloon. and fragile features. One lay by the path up the hill. be careful of too hasty guesses at its meaning. This. I saw dimly coming up.and the Silent Man followed suit. Here and there out of the darkness round me the Morlocks eyes shone like carbuncles.Ive lived eight days . where could it be?I think I must have had a kind of frenzy. A sudden thought came to me. but at the last she had concluded that they were an eccentric kind of vase for floral decoration.who had been staring at his face. to the mystery of the ghosts; to say nothing of a hint at the meaning of the bronze gates and the fate of the Time Machine And very vaguely there came a suggestion towards the solution of the economic problem that had puzzled me.

 and. but would pass the night upon the open hill.One word.You can explain that. The delicate little people must have heard me hammering in gusty outbreaks a mile away on either hand. I woke with a start. perhaps a little roughly.and the Silent Man followed suit. His prejudice against human flesh is no deep seated instinct. As for the rest of the contents of that gallery. without anything to smoke--at times I missed tobacco frightfully--even without enough matches. however helpless the little people in the presence of their mysterious Fear. man had thrust his brother man out of the ease and the sunshine. and the diminishing numbers of these dim creatures. and she began below.We stared at him in silence.But probably. Instead were these frail creatures who had forgotten their high ancestry.I turned frantically to the Time Machine.

when the putting together was nearly done.Surely the mercury did not trace this line in any of the dimensions of Space generally recognized But certainly it traced such a line. I have no doubt they could see me in that rayless obscurity.There is.and Chose about the machine he said to me. her face white and starlike under the stars.said Filby.truly; and one of the ivory bars is cracked." Then suddenly the humour of the situation came into my mind: the thought of the years I had spent in study and toil to get into the future age.However.he said. I began the conversation. the explosive thud as each fresh tree burst into flame. But at my first gesture towards this they behaved very oddly. the obscene figures lurking in the shadows.instead of being carried vertically at the sides. I was insensible.You must follow me carefully. and besides Weena was tired.

 laying hands upon them and shaking them up together.For my own part.the other on the lever. and prepared to light is as soon as the match should wane. Several more brightly clad people met me in the doorway. With a sudden fright I stooped to her. and could economize my camphor. the sanitation and the agriculture of to-day are still in the rudimentary stage. Although it was at my own expense. This I waded. and. feet. Nevertheless. and for a moment I was free. I determined to descend and find where I could sleep. and presently she refused to answer them. And a great quiet had followed. and I found afterwards abundant verification of my opinion.and the full temerity of my voyage came suddenly upon me.

 Nor until it was too late did I clearly understand what she was to me. I could not help myself.I intend to explore time.Then he drew up a chair. as I did so. and a nail was working through the sole they were comfortable old shoes I wore about indoors so that I was lame. At that I chuckled gleefully.are you perfectly serious Or is this a tricklike that ghost you showed us last ChristmasUpon that machine. These people of the remote future were strict vegetarians. and she had the oddest confidence in me; for once. As it slipped from my hand. I found a box of matches. Here and there rose a white or silvery figure in the waste garden of the earth. I was not loath to follow their example.Fine hospitality. and those big abundant ruins..The Time Traveller smiled round at us.The other men were Blank.

Then.Parts were of nickel. the same clustering thickets of evergreens. Starting up in the darkness I snatched at my matches and. Yet. The science of our time has attacked but a little department of the field of human disease. and that was camphor. I determined to descend and find where I could sleep. One was so blinded by the light that he came straight for me. a hand touched mine. against fierce maternity. growing distinct as the light of the rising moon grew brighter. And not simply fatigued! One of the bars bent suddenly under my weight.I was on what seemed to be a little lawn in a garden.retorted the Time Traveller.I looked more curiously and less fearfully at this world of the remote future.My impression of it is.The Psychologist was the only person besides the Doctor and myself who had attended the previous dinner. bronze doors.

 And yet. The big hall was dark.. and.Id give a shilling a line for a verbatim note.and standing up in my place. I began to feel over the parapet for the climbing hooks. I had some thought of trying to go up the shaft again. I followed in the Morlocks path. was this Lemur doing in my scheme of a perfectly balanced organization? How was it related to the indolent serenity of the beautiful Upper-worlders? And what was hidden down there. Suppose you were to use a grossly improper gesture to a delicate-minded woman--it is how she would look. But the day was growing late. aspirations. But while such details are easy enough to obtain when the whole world is contained in ones imagination. I rolled over. Then I had to look down at the unstable hooks to which I clung.For we should have perceived his motives; a pork butcher could understand Filby. Indeed.There was ivory in it.

 perfectly silent on her part and with the same peculiar cooing sounds from the Morlocks. and Weena clung to me convulsively.Had anything happened? For a moment I suspected that my intellect had tricked me.It troubled her greatly. Yet I could think of no other. I felt little teeth nipping at my neck.That. still needs some little thought outside habit. It was as sweet and fair a view as I have ever seen.however.Within was a small apartment. and she simply laughed at them.a certain journalist. The male pursued the female. I have a memory of horrible fatigue. For a moment I hung by one hand. Then. There were numbers of guns.I had at that time very vague ideas as to the course I should pursue.

 I saw a real aristocracy. like the reflection of some colourless fire. Indeed. was full of a slumbrous murmur that I did not understand. I think. finding a pleasure in the mere touch of the contrivance.Within the big valves of the door which were open and broken we found. I found the noise of machinery grow louder. I could see the silver birch against it. Then. curiously wrought. and teeth; these. remote. that was how the world of Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One presented itself to meThat day. I and this fragile thing out of futurity. As I approached the pedestal of the sphinx I found the bronze valves were open.I got up after a time. In costume. in their interest.

 I put Weena.he led the way down the long. and went on gathering my bonfire. and shouted again rather discordantly.and that imparted an unpleasant suggestion of disease.I took the starting lever in one hand and the stopping one in the other. . Upon the shrubby hill of its edge Weena would have stopped.and it seemed to do him good: for he looked round the table. it appeared to be broken by a number of small narrow footprints. and fragile features. and got up and sat down again. Happily then. The wood behind seemed full of the stir and murmur of a great company!She seemed to have fainted. "that was not the lawn.save now and then a brighter circle flickering in the blue. amidst which were thick heaps of very beautiful pagoda-like plants nettles possibly but wonderfully tinted with brown about the leaves. a certain childlike ease.It took two years to make.

 coming suddenly out of the quiet darkness with inarticulate noises and the splutter and flare of a match. had been really hermetically sealed. Humanity had been strong.said the Medical Man. and wandered here and there. is shy and slow in our clumsy hands. perhaps. Starting up in the darkness I snatched at my matches and. When I saw them I ceased abruptly to trouble about the Morlocks. in which a star was visible. among other things. I cannot even say whether it ran on all-fours.and hurry on ahead!To discover a society. It was as sweet and fair a view as I have ever seen. my arm against the overturned pillar. The ground grew dim and the trees black.being his patents. to whom fire was a novelty. to Weenas huge delight.

 But.another at seventeen. and stung my fingers. the smoke of the fire beat over towards me. in the dim light. A peculiar feature. I left her and turned to a machine from which projected a lever not unlike those in a signal-box. with a sudden shiver.said the Psychologist. and past me. Then I remember Weena kissing my hands and ears. The eyes were large and mild; and this may seem egotism on my part I fancied even that there was a certain lack of the interest I might have expected in them.And you cannot move at all in Time. that I gave no thought to the possibilities it presented. They moved hastily. "Suppose the machine altogether lost--perhaps destroyed? It behooves me to be calm and patient. I carefully wrapped her in my jacket. soft-colored robes and shining white limbs. either to the right or the left.

 rather thin lips.and Its half-past seven now. and population had ceased to increase. and ran along by the side of me.are passing along the Time-Dimension with a uniform velocity from the cradle to the grave. Once or twice I had a feeling of intense fear for which I could perceive no definite reason.Then. came the possibility of losing my own age. The moon was on the wane: each night there was a longer interval of darkness. Yet I felt tolerably sure of the avoidance. a struggle began in the darkness about my knees.he said.His flushed face reminded me of the more beautiful kind of consumptive that hectic beauty of which we used to hear so much.Then. a long neglected and yet weedless garden. Very possibly I had been feeling desolate.I pressed the lever over to its extreme position." I said; "I wonder whence they dated. it seemed clear as daylight to me that the gradual widening of the present merely temporary and social difference between the Capitalist and the Labourer.

 and the means of getting materials and tools; so that in the end. a very great comfort.and the rest of us echoed Agreed. Let me put my difficulties. to let them give their lessons in little doses when they felt inclined.The pedestal.Into the future or the pastI dont. to show no concern and to abstain from any pursuit of them. there. I did so. in the direction of nineteenth-century Banstead. from which I could get a wider view of this our planet in the year Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One A. absolutely unknown to you? Well. So soon as my appetite was a little checked. bawling like an angry child. too." said I stoutly to myself.I remarked indeed a clumsy swaying of the machine.since it must have travelled through this time.

the feeling of prolonged falling. Catching myself at that. would become weakness. They were not even damp. and came and hammered till I had flattened a coil in the decorations. There is a tendency to utilize underground space for the less ornamental purposes of civilization; there is the Metropolitan Railway in London. This I waded. They clutched at me more boldly.The Editor raised objections. Lightning may blast and blacken. and saw the white backs of the Morlocks in flight amid the trees.and smeared with green down the sleeves; his hair disordered. and still better. often ruinous. the same clustering thickets of evergreens.SeeI think so. Then came one hand upon me and then another.girdled at the waist with a leather belt. A few shrivelled and blackened vestiges of what had once been stuffed animals.

 but I contained myself. for I was almost exhausted. Then I turned to where Weena lay beside my iron mace. I have suspected since that the Morlocks had even partially taken it to pieces while trying in their dim way to grasp its purpose. as I supposed. but from the black of the wood there came now and then a stir of living things. The Nemesis of the delicate ones was creeping on apace. for rising on either side of me were the huge bulks of big machines.Then came troublesome doubts. I may as well confess. a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword. with exactly the same result. "They must have been ghosts.The pedestal. I threw my iron bar away.far easier down than up. as I was watching some of the little people bathing in a shallow. Now. In the afternoon I met my little woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment