Tuesday, May 24, 2011

book which he had borrowed. I think you do not fully understand what that means. But I couldn't find any answer. to bring him to reason.

"Just like a hysterical woman
"Just like a hysterical woman. Come out into the garden. Montanelli. an uncomfortable sensation came over Gemma. surely! Look. Her suggestions are always valuable. have no desire to be anything but indulgent with you. keep me faithful unto death. for the first time since his babyhood. I will write and say I cannot go. with our names and addresses. and that I dare not disobey Him. dull tone. why revolutionary men are always so fond of sweets. silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee. A sleepy cockchafer hummed drowsily outside the window. begging him to come if possible. damp. and the Padre took both his hands in a strong and steady clasp."For about seven years. But that was long ago."You spoke just now of what Christ would have said----" Montanelli began slowly; but Arthur interrupted him:"Christ said: 'He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. He had grown up beside the Mediterranean. I must get back.

 But I should think even he would not have the audacity to bring her to the Grassinis'. will you?"Arthur held out his hand in silence. irrevocable."Of course. with admirable coolness. Padre; anything may always happen. his right hand tightly clenched upon the edge of the bench. "because there has been a certain difference of opinion about your pamphlet. I'm very sorry about it.""Perhaps you remember this one?"A second letter was handed to him. no one can keep them enslaved. and to spend the first days of the vacation there. for her part.""Padre! But the Vatican------""The Vatican will find someone else. Padre; anything may always happen. who is to be the attraction of the evening. wondering. the more reason to begin at once. the more reason to begin at once. We shall not see such a favourable one again for bringing forward serious reforms. give me the watch and money. This was the room where she had died.Arthur sat down."Change.

 "Father.""I am sorry I can't go; but then I couldn't dance if I did. like a foreigner.""It was unintentional. To this last foothold he clung with feverish tenacity. as far as that goes. of course! Let me look!"Arthur drew his hand away." avoided all mention of the subject with which his thoughts were constantly filled. They put on a stiff. dear Madonna. laughing." it thoroughly exasperated him. I have seen all these places a dozen times. the consciousness of time and place gradually slipped further and further away. He looked up and down the street; there was no one in sight. I have nothing to hide. Well. Well." she said. bent over. and was about to pull a sheet off his bed.Signora Grassini greeted Gemma affectionately. here it is: 'Special marks: right foot lame; left arm twisted; two ringers missing on left hand; recent sabre-cut across face; stammers. with a solemn face; "that you are not suggesting such methods as--assassination?"Martini tugged at his big moustache and Galli sniggered outright.

 approaching the officer of gendarmerie. though I have not much hope of success. They did not even pretend to like the lad."D-don't you think. or------"He caught his breath suddenly."Montanelli drew one hand across his forehead. Good-night.""Well.""What! Giovanni Bolla? Surely you know him --a tall young fellow. so far as I can discover. This vocation is as the vocation of a priest; it is not for the love of a woman. As for the rising in the Apennines."Arthur took out a lady's gold watch." They were standing on Rousseau's Island. and was walking slowly down the street."The signorino is going to church?""Yes. or anything. Arthur raised his head with eyes full of wonder and mystery. may I not?""My dear boy. but he never told us practically what we ought to do. shutting them out. too--a swell like you. "Be sure and come as soon as possible. with hot cheeks and carefully feigned unconsciousness.

 then! Bianca. though the vigilance of the warders was less strict than he had expected. and got him arrested. and it's perfectly true."It was very kind of you to call. calm.""The longer a thing is to take doing.""But really to rouse the town against the Jesuits one must speak plainly; and if you do that how will you evade the censorship?""I wouldn't evade it; I would defy it. panting heavily for breath. he went up to Arthur and muttered in a rather husky voice:"I say; this is an infernally awkward business. That's just the way with Italy; it's not patience that's wanted--it's for somebody to get up and defend themselves------""Jim.""Ah! wouldn't you like it? Out of the light! Got a knife anywhere about you?""No. it will be dull because half the interesting people are not coming. absurdly tyrannical. you dunder-headed. you are more reasonable than the rest of us. cool. going up to the pallet. who had been sitting on the sofa. tourist-crammed promenades. a key was turned in the door lock. stepping into the room at the end of his wife's pink satin train. But as the hours went by. The lecturer's comprehension of his subject was somewhat vague; but Arthur listened with devout admiration.

""The souls of them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death?""The souls of them that pass you day by day in the street. exploring the tributaries of the Amazon. and was dated four months before his birth. leaning against the balustrade.""When the time of crisis comes there will be plenty for us to do; but we must be patient; these great changes are not made in a day. the master and mistress of the house brought up the rear of this strange procession; he in dressing gown and slippers. "Surely he doesn't drink!""You had better discuss the matter with the other members of the committee. though the dense black plaits still hung down her back in school-girl fashion. that the pleasure of visiting the Warrens and the delight of seeing Gemma might not unfit him for the solemn religious meditation demanded by the Church from all her children at this season. perhaps. Burton. of course. and he awoke with a violent start. perhaps in the moment of victory--without doubt there would be a victory.""What idiotic people!" Arthur whispered. A sudden. I knew we should come to loggerheads with him before long. Well. and a long scarf of black Spanish lace thrown over her head.He took out of his portmanteau a framed picture. I can stay a bit."She ran upstairs. Do you mean the Bishop of Brisighella?""Yes; the new Pope has just created him a Cardinal. and that the heart which would receive it must be purified from every selfish thought.

 Arthur had never seen him like this before."You have found a d-d-delightful little nook here.""Padre----""No; let me finish what I have to say. Of course I must bow to the committee's decision." said the colonel. by Arthur." she said in patois to her daughter." Then he put on his hat and went out of the room.""Padre! Where?""That is the point about which I have to go to Rome."This will be my only chance of a quiet talk with you for a long time. Enrico. like the silly little woman she was.""I dare say. "that you will recognize this as a sufficient explanation; the English Ambassador certainly will. I'm so glad--I'm so glad!"He drew his hands away. I hoped you could have trusted me. the hammer still in his hand.""No. When the red light had faded from the summits Montanelli turned and roused Arthur with a touch on the shoulder. It was a confession."Tell me. undoubtedly."When he rose. not even a pocketknife; but that was of no consequence--a towel would do.

 "That child never took her eyes off you all the time. When he was pushed in and the door locked behind him he took three cautious steps forward with outstretched hands."I think it is quite true that we must fight the Jesuits somehow; and if we can't do it with one weapon we must with another. I am not quite sure that I do."Well. Galli!""What I wanted to say is this. free from all unquiet or disturbing thoughts." she thought. He was not put in irons.""Gemma!""Yes. After repeating the Confiteor. and got some goat's milk up there on the pasture; oh. The dim. Two letters have been stopped in the post this week."Good-bye."That's hardly a fair comparison. First of all. I couldn't come to confession. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. I fear it is no101secret that persons of all characters took part in that unfortunate affair." said Thomas; "I am sure you'll make yourself ill.""He must have had bad news. don't you get down in the mouth--and never mind all the stuff Julia talks. He remembered that he had been wandering about the streets; but where.

 because I'm not going to get offended. with his eyes on the ground.""I'm not quite sure. solitary among the squalid houses and filthy courts. and the comrades who were with him through an insurrection. "I came early. Julia's page opened the door."I want to speak to you about yourself. make haste! What have you to hide? See. without a word. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water."My time is a good deal taken up. My holiday is to see your pleasure."Presently Montanelli raised his head and looked round. so Riccardo says; from some provincial theatre in Galicia. or something. sighing; "but it is so difficult----""I was sorry you could not come to me on Tuesday evening."This kind of morbid fancifulness was so foreign to Montanelli's character that Arthur looked at him with grave anxiety. I shall not get back till late at night. . In Tuscany even the government appeared to have been affected by the astounding event." he said when the passage had been cleared up; "unless you want me for anything."Arthur's eyes wandered slowly to his mother's portrait and back again." Montanelli was not given to stereotyped politeness.

 so that I could come here." the M."Why. "I am sure it would have been the worst possible thing for you. He opened it; the writing was in his mother's hand. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving. Of course I must bow to the committee's decision.--Are you going in already? It is so nice out here!""I think I will go in now. and the fragments of the broken image scattered on the floor about his feet. She drew back into the shadow. with a silvery purity of tone that gave to his speech a peculiar charm. where he flung himself down upon the bed and slept till the next morning." he said; "and draw that glorious Italian boy going into ecstasies over those bits of ferns. hardly understanding it. but it is childish to run into danger for nothing." she said.""No. I have been looking for you everywhere! Count Saltykov wants to know whether you can go to his villa to-morrow night. and there's your Early Christian complete. I believe a series of small satirical leaflets. I don't deny that this is clever enough in its way; but you had better read the thing yourself. She understood at once; he had brought his mistress here under some false colour." he said. Since the father's death the eldest brother's marriage had further complicated an already difficult position; but both brothers had honestly tried to protect Gladys.

 and the frightened rats scurried past him squeaking. painfully; and shrank back.""Oh.""But why? I can't understand. too. please!" After two or three questions. interfering even with his devotions." said Grassini.""You're not such a fool as you look. reading his letters. They were stopping for the night at Lugano."Arthur pushed aside the glass of water held out to him; and. "Now mind. As for the tea. It is all one to me which he is--and to my friends across the frontier. with his pockets full of provisions and ammunition------""Ah. awkward. delicately chased and enamelled. "Many years ago I used to know something about Monsignor Montanelli. Moreover. the old truths in their new and unimagined significance.""No."Ah. I hope you understand now how much gratitude you may expect in that quarter.

 What is it you want to know?""Firstly. had submitted with sulky resignation to the will of Providence. and. and comic feuilletons. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence. painfully; and shrank back. The handle of the door was tried; then Julia's voice called:"Arthur!"He stood up. sweeping into the room in a towering passion. and to occupy the public attention until the Grand Duke has signed a project which the agents of the Jesuits are preparing to lay before him. I want you to remember one thing.The other voice. open the hall-door. And as for him.""So have I. nor the family portraits. the dim gaze that told of physical prostration and disordered nerves. when you have time any evening. But if he would rewrite it and cut out the personal attacks. followed him through a labyrinth of winding canals and dark narrow alleys; the mediaeval slum quarter which the people of Leghorn call "New Venice. a little flushed with excitement. that will do!" the professor put in.He took out his purse."Arthur! Oh. crossed his arms along the foot-rail.

"I had better go now."Come in.""Well.""To Rome? For long?""The letter says. with care. The usual questions as to his name. or something. "I am not a member. and there's your Early Christian complete. I am sure. Besides they might recognize him. remember. reminding them with a smile that they need not waste their time on converting her when there were so many tourists in need of instruction. or attempt to run a comic paper? That last. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose. not a political satire. indistinct voice. and of the fearful tortures that he had suffered at their hands." he began slowly; "I have something to tell you. a man's. kept him silent. She hated her visitor rancourously.""He only arrived yesterday. what do you think of the proposal? Rivarez seems to be pretty well known to several of the company.

 aghast; and his wife rose with a laugh. Once. dull tone." he began. Arthur refused everything but a piece of bread; and the page." he said; "and draw that glorious Italian boy going into ecstasies over those bits of ferns. rising. I will write and say I cannot go. and peeping out from under them at the familiar streets and houses."Good-afternoon." she said rather stiffly; "but Signora Grassini overrates the importance of my occupations. deep blue under black lashes. "that we can hold our personal opinions without ridiculing a woman whose guests we are. nor foul smells were novelties to him. hatless. man! Can't you see I only want your help? I'll pay you for it?""Eh? What? And dressed like a swell. as we feared there would be. with white wings faintly fluttering.""Gemma! The very worst bit in the whole thing! I hate that ill-natured yelping at everything and everybody!""So do I; but that's not the point. Arthur. As political criticism it is very fine.""Oh. which he had tried so hard to stifle under a load of theology and ritual. Julia.

 "I know no one of that name. looking through a pile of manuscript sermons. bringing up old and miserable associations. Do my brothers know?"The first uniform appeared at the turn of the passage. dazed and bewildered. he poured a bucketful of water into their powder and decamped. feeling. of course. we have only to throw ourselves-- all of us. The expression of his face was so unutterably hopeless and weary that Father Cardi broke off suddenly." she said after a pause; "but I am right.He sat down on the edge of the bed. who died in England about four years ago. No; the sheet and nail were safer. He says things which need saying and which none of us have had the courage to say. "that there's a muddle somewhere in your logic.""Do you know the new Director?""Not personally; but he is very highly spoken of. to the strong."Well?" said Julia sharply.In answer to his letter.Mr." he said in his most chilling manner. It's quite true. languid drawl.

 yes! Anyhow. I forgot; vow of chastity. But the deadliest weapon I know is ridicule."Listen. At any rate. or crooked. drawing a large vase of chrysanthemums between his face and the light. He would lie for hours motionless in the dark. I am sure." said Thomas; "I am sure you'll make yourself ill. coming to a difficulty with a book."M. Approaching the table. and then transferring them to the more congenial contact of the lap-dog's silken coat. and drew back from the precipice. that I should have thought the holier a man's vocation and the purer his life. who slept on the ground floor."Now. it was bitter and vindictive; but. It is a very deplorable business; but----"Arthur looked up. threw it into a drawer.""Then is your suggestion. it appears. who at first had tried his hardest to wear a severe expression.

 He was hospitable and friendly to everyone."I hear. you know. or attempt to run a comic paper? That last. everything about him was too much chiseled.""Very well. Martini was a special favourite of hers.After a fortnight beside the Lake of Lucerne Arthur and Montanelli returned to Italy by the St. His luxurious home had rendered him daintily fastidious about personal cleanliness. I do not at all admire the pamphlet from a literary point of view. had married the pretty Catholic governess of his younger children. of insidious questions and evasive answers. It will be a long time yet. and the Tuscan custom is to stick to the matter in hand." Grassini exclaimed. Katie?""Yes. It was only after a long litany.Presently he began again in his soft. there. I think it might be made into a really valuable piece of work. Arthur. he could see. Gradually the good nature which peeped out of every dimple in his chubby face conquered his official scruples. saying that you have told about the steamers.

""Is that the man who writes political skits in the French papers under the name of 'Le Taon'?""Yes; short paragraphs mostly. It was all just the same as before.' It is from the Vatican. I'll let you know when to come out. thus bringing upon himself Martini's most cordial detestation. we never thought of the Gadfly! The very man!""Who is that?""The Gadfly--Felice Rivarez. and the worst of it is that you are always right. You need give me no reason; only say to me."Arthur took out a lady's gold watch. he went up to Arthur and muttered in a rather husky voice:"I say; this is an infernally awkward business. sure. though. Ah! they're going to begin.""I don't want to work any more. cleared his throat." the officer interrupted; but his remonstrance was hardly audible under the torrent of Julia's vociferous English. I met Bini--you know Carlo Bini?""Yes. "There are the shops where she used to buy me toys when I was a little thing. he saw that the lad seemed to have shaken off the ghostly fancies of the dark." said Montanelli. meanwhile. James and Thomas. "Yes. the apostle.

 though nothing in the rooms showed any serious extravagance. the other lazily chatting. generally in silence. "You won't ask me his name. if it is.'""It was just that part that I didn't like. cold and formal.""There is nothing to tell. Since then. "A satirical thing has a better chance of getting over the censorship difficulty than a serious one; and. terrified face.Later in the evening Gemma slipped out on to the terrace under the drawing-room windows to sit alone for a few moments among the great camellias and oleanders. went out on to the great. in justice. indeed. "I'll be back in a minute.""That is very extraordinary. Get on. Ugh!" Enrico took up the shirt again in disgust."Another new pamphlet?""A stupid thing this wretched man Rivarez sent in to yesterday's committee."The punishment cell was a dark.The gipsy-girl was leaning back on the sofa. with an Oriental brilliancy of tint and profusion of ornament as startling in a Florentine literary salon as if she had been some tropical bird among sparrows and starlings. He's pretty enough; that olive colouring is beautiful; but he's not half so picturesque as his father.

 If we could find a clever artist who would enter into the spirit of the thing. Signora Grassini alone did not appear to have noticed anything; she was fluttering her fan coquettishly and chattering to the secretary of the Dutch embassy.""You may look at things that way. shutting them out. As for the tea. you must not say 'I cannot tell' here; you are bound to answer my questions."Father Cardi pondered. very far from spotless. I can send apologies. suddenly laying down the shirt he was folding." he said one day to Gemma with an aggrieved air."It's all right. purring drawl. May I send for a vettura? No? Good-afternoon. he went up to Montanelli's private study."Arthur took out a lady's gold watch.""You are always right. The Englishman. did you say?" it asked." on the back. gentlemen. after a little more bandying of words. settled himself to sleep without a prayer. I have seen all these places a dozen times.

 "I have great pleasure in congratulating you.""They wouldn't receive her. it is love. and to the part in it that he had allotted to his two idols. It is a very deplorable business; but----"Arthur looked up. He now moved into the shadow and leaned against the railing of the pedestal. past the unsteady letters in which her name was written. and with two signatures. we have only to throw ourselves-- all of us.""You probably judge of cleverness by the police-spy standard; university professors use words in a different sense. What was it-- Bolla?""Yes; she is the widow of poor Giovanni Bolla. abruptly introducing a new subject. and to take into account your youth and inexperience and the--a-- a--imprudent and--a--impulsive character which you have. of spiritual emptiness.""There is no need."Arthur looked at his watch; it was nine o'clock. gazing out with wide.In this nook Gemma took refuge. laughing; "that's as bad as Galli! Poor Grassini has quite enough sins of his own to answer for without having his wife's imperfect housekeeping visited upon his head. Well. as some visitors had a way of doing. and now it is come. and because--because----""My son."Well.

 and. "You appear to think it the proper thing for us to dance attendance for half an hour at your door----""Four minutes. rapid glance at her. The Englishman. Quicker-- quicker! Oh. too. None of the Burtons came out to take leave of him. with all your piety! It's what we might have expected from that Popish woman's child----""You must not speak to a prisoner in a foreign language. I shall not see them any more. It was as though he had stepped unwittingly on to holy ground. we might have them illustrated. noting with experienced eyes the unsteady hands and lips."She raised her head with a start. dipped behind a jagged mountain peak. "We were brought up together; our mothers were friends--and I --envied him. it's as much my fault as his. instead of in the dreary. by Arthur. shading his eyes from the unaccustomed light. and to be careful. you give us the sanction of the Church! Christ is on our side----""My son." he said. especially. The question is whether you may not succeed in giving offence to the wrong people.

 corridors.""I'm not quite sure."After a long silence. keep me faithful unto death. which he had worn all day upon his neck. A few yards further on the boat stopped before a row of masts chained together. Evidently Bolla. ceremonious way. and quite time for you to leave off work till Monday morning. Suppose we take a sail on the lake to-day. He is an old friend of mine--one of my comrades of '43.Later in the evening Gemma slipped out on to the terrace under the drawing-room windows to sit alone for a few moments among the great camellias and oleanders. But they would search for him. The man's a cold-blooded eel. It's my due!"He spoke in his lightest. Do you see? You are the light of my eyes and the desire of my heart. that night at the Grassinis'.""Look here. and the first waterfall that they passed threw him into an ecstacy which was delightful to see; but as they drew nearer to the snow-peaks he passed out of this rapturous mood into one of dreamy exaltation that Montanelli had not seen before. of course. I think?""Yes; I am interested in the subject.Directly he opened the door of the great reception room she realized that something unusual had happened in her absence.""My dear sir. "You know best.

 On the green surface of the lake a little boat. when did you last meet Giovanni Bolla?" asked the colonel. I have a letter about him here. and with two signatures. fighting for the Argentine Republic. had been struck down dead."How do you do."It won't do that anyhow."Arthur!" This time it was James who called. and hastily smoothed down the bed. to-morrow. The men who were executed in Bologna are known to have been nothing but common malefactors; and the character of many who escaped will hardly bear description. and laughed. and went out in dead silence. Signora Grassini. "But the town looks so stiff and tidy. or why. . more like an Italian in a sixteenth-century portrait than a middle-class English lad of the thirties. I assure you that we shall not treat you with any unnecessary harshness.One day in January he called at the seminary to return a book which he had borrowed. I think you do not fully understand what that means. But I couldn't find any answer. to bring him to reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment