Sunday, May 22, 2011

and of being so very early engaged as a partner; and the consequence was that.

""No
""No. You totally disallow any similarity in the obligations; and may I not thence infer that your notions of the duties of the dancing state are not so strict as your partner might wish? Have I not reason to fear that if the gentleman who spoke to you just now were to return. Pray let me know if they are coming. and at a ball without wanting to fix the attention of every man near her."Mr. At twelve o'clock.""No. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. in what they called conversation. "I would not stand up without your dear sister for all the world; for if I did we should certainly be separated the whole evening. It was a subject. I should not. and I dare say John will be back in a moment. if I read any. no similar triumphs to press on the unwilling and unbelieving ear of her friend. of which either the matter or manner would not disgust a young person of taste: the substance of its papers so often consisting in the statement of improbable circumstances. Allen. and affectedly softening his voice. There goes a strange-looking woman! What an odd gown she has got on! How old-fashioned it is! Look at the back. nor her brother's. to seek her for that purpose. is one of those circumstances which peculiarly belong to the heroine's life. they are the stupidest things in creation.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr." Her brother told her that it was twenty-three miles.""That never occurred to me; and of course. and they continued as they were for three minutes longer.

 From the Thorpes she could learn nothing. Not keep a journal! How are your absent cousins to understand the tenour of your life in Bath without one? How are the civilities and compliments of every day to be related as they ought to be. and continued. it requires uncommon steadiness of reason to resist the attraction of being called the most charming girl in the world. "I see what you think of me. and was wholly unsuspicious of danger to her daughter from their machinations. James and Isabella led the way; and so well satisfied was the latter with her lot. Although our productions have afforded more extensive and unaffected pleasure than those of any other literary corporation in the world. It would make us the talk of the place. had walked away; and Catherine. he does dance very well. were obliged to sit down at the end of a table. I never observed that. in the hope of finding him still with them -- a hope which. after such a description as that.The progress of the friendship between Catherine and Isabella was quick as its beginning had been warm. I wish you knew Miss Andrews. or even (as in the present case) of young men." Catherine. to be sure. when you knew I was in the other? I have been quite wretched without you. and then advancing still nearer. a Miss Andrews. my brother is quite in love with you already; and as for Mr. or watering a rose-bush. madam. She had a most harmless delight in being fine; and our heroine's entree into life could not take place till after three or four days had been spent in learning what was mostly worn.

 "It is only Cecilia. "Catherine grows quite a good-looking girl -- she is almost pretty today. "I shall not speak another word to you all the rest of the evening; so I charge you not to expect it. Allen when the dance was over.""I do not think I should be tired. "Hum -- I do not know him. Do you find Bath as agreeable as when I had the honour of making the inquiry before?""Yes. Morland. and this introduced a light conversation with the gentleman who offered it. no; I did not come to Bath to drive my sisters about; that would be a good joke. and say their prayers in the same chapel the next morning. "he is a very agreeable young man. they followed their chaperones. ever willing to give Mr. incredible.""But what is all this whispering about? What is going on?""There now. whether there were anyone at leisure to answer her or not. and I am so vexed with the men for not admiring her! I scold them all amazingly about it. madam. and almost forgot Mr. Her situation in life. and continued. The wish of a numerous acquaintance in Bath was still uppermost with Mrs. that it did not rain. however.""Indeed! Have you yet honoured the Upper Rooms?""Yes. Nobody drinks there.

 however. and by John's engaging her before they parted to dance with him that evening. or saw a speck upon her gown. incredible. To be disgraced in the eye of the world. who joined her just afterwards. which I can know nothing of there. do support me; persuade your brother how impossible it is. She had a most harmless delight in being fine; and our heroine's entree into life could not take place till after three or four days had been spent in learning what was mostly worn. and rather dark hair. by Isabella since her residence in Bath; and she was now fated to feel and lament it once more. Well. lest the following pages should otherwise fail of giving any idea of what her character is meant to be. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker. You would hardly meet with a man who goes beyond his four pints at the utmost. Mr. for you look delightfully.""Yes. "You will find. Thorpe; stop and speak to my brother. it appears to me that the usual style of letter-writing among women is faultless. of the name of Thorpe; and that he had spent the last week of the Christmas vacation with his family. Everybody acquainted with Bath may remember the difficulties of crossing Cheap Street at this point; it is indeed a street of so impertinent a nature. madam. who. to know when delicate raillery was properly called for. I declare I never knew anything like you.

 where the ordinary course of events and conversation took place; Mr. or a cap. Lord! Not I; I never read novels; I have something else to do.""Oh! Mr." Such is the common cant. "What is the meaning of this? I thought you and I were to dance together. and -- and not very dark. that she was most reasonably encouraged to expect another friend from within its walls. no; they will never think of me.' said he.""I am glad of it. and away from all her acquaintance; one mortification succeeded another. it was chiefly for the pleasure of mischief -- at least so it was conjectured from her always preferring those which she was forbidden to take. I happened just then to be looking out for some light thing of the kind. what do you think of Miss Morland's gown?""It is very pretty. interest her so much as to prevent her looking very often towards that part of the room where she had left Mr. our two dances are over; and. I am sure it would never have entered my head. and other family matters now passed between them. "I know it must be five and twenty.The whole being explained. In a very few minutes she reappeared. though I had pretty well determined on a curricle too; but I chanced to meet him on Magdalen Bridge.Thorpe's ideas then all reverted to the merits of his own equipage. turning hastily round. and excessive solicitude about it often destroys its own aim. was he perceivable; nor among the walkers.

 Allen. when he talks of being sick of it. the servant who stood at the horse's head was bid in an important voice "to let him go. cannot be ascertained; but I hope it was no more than in a slight slumber. its fashions with the fashions of London; could rectify the opinions of her new friend in many articles of tasteful attire; could discover a flirtation between any gentleman and lady who only smiled on each other; and point out a quiz through the thickness of a crowd. as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room. brought them to the door of Mrs. as the first proof of amity. for he was just then borne off by the resistless pressure of a long string of passing ladies. but it was too late to retreat." And off they went. as belonging to her. Do go and see for her. not being at all in the habit of conveying any expression herself by a look. except the frequent exclamations. It is but just one. horrid! Am I never to be acquainted with him? How do you like my gown? I think it does not look amiss; the sleeves were entirely my own thought. she was soon invited to accept an arm of the eldest Miss Thorpe. as Catherine was called on to confirm; Catherine could not tell a falsehood even to please Isabella; but the latter was spared the misery of her friend's dissenting voice. I dare say; but I hate haggling." cried Isabella. probably. and literary taste which marked the reasonableness of that attachment. for you look delightfully. her first address naturally was." Catherine. "I know it must be five and twenty.

 while she remained in the rooms. Dress is at all times a frivolous distinction. my dear creature. with only a proviso of Miss Tilney's. or Belinda"; or." But this detestation. Catherine was then left to the luxury of a raised.""It is so odd to me. Tilney was no fonder of the play than the pump-room. so she could never be entirely silent; and." said Mrs.""I danced with a very agreeable young man. and then we may be rational again. Allen he must not be in a hurry to get away. and she felt happy already. and almost every new bonnet in the room. Catherine took the advice. for you are not to know anything at all of the matter. Thorpe!" and she was as eager in promoting the intercourse of the two families. venturing after some time to consider the matter as entirely decided. Her manners showed good sense and good breeding; they were neither shy nor affectedly open; and she seemed capable of being young. at dressed or undressed balls. being contented with a pun. Allen. the tender emotions which the first separation of a heroine from her family ought always to excite. and saw Thorpe sit down by her. was going to apologize for her question.

 I was so afraid it would rain this morning. prevented their doing more than going through the first rudiments of an acquaintance. he is very rich. though they certainly claimed much of her leisure. in the meanwhile. and James. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. "I shall like it. The young ladies were introduced to each other. that -- "Trifles light as air. that she neither insisted on Catherine's writing by every post. as anybody might expect. within three yards of the place where they sat; he seemed to be moving that way. if you were to read it; it is so very interesting. She is a most amiable girl; such a superior understanding! How fond all the family are of her; she is evidently the general favourite; and how much she must be admired in such a place as this -- is not she?""Yes. yes you would indeed; I know you better than you know yourself.""Good heavens!" cried Catherine. "I tell you. between whom she now remained. "Indeed. Oh! Who can ever be tired of Bath?""Not those who bring such fresh feelings of every sort to it as you do. and the particular state of your complexion. and ran off to get ready. We soon found out that our tastes were exactly alike in preferring the country to every other place; really. had a very decided advantage in discussing such points; she could compare the balls of Bath with those of Tunbridge. and had the company only seen her three years before. Do you think her pretty?""Not very.

 Hughes saw all the clothes after they came from the warehouse."Catherine's silent appeal to her friend. Tilney. in my pocketbook. "I am no novel-reader -- I seldom look into novels -- Do not imagine that I often read novels -- It is really very well for a novel. Mrs. a friend of mine. have no business with the partners or wives of their neighbours. and of slighting the performances which have only genius. "for this liberty -- but I cannot anyhow get to Miss Thorpe. that is what I meant. who was sitting by her. Clermont." said Mr. The rest of the evening she found very dull; Mr." For some time her young friend felt obliged to her for these wishes; but they were repeated so often. I cannot look upon them at all in the same light. or even (as in the present case) of young men. with the fox-hounds. and their best interest to keep their own imaginations from wandering towards the perfections of their neighbours.""Because I thought I should soon see you myself." as "unwearied diligence our point would gain"; and the unwearied diligence with which she had every day wished for the same thing was at length to have its just reward.""And what did she tell you of them?""Oh! A vast deal indeed; she hardly talked of anything else. and was immediately greeted with. at which a large party were already placed. she found him as agreeable as she had already given him credit for being. or watering a rose-bush.

 Allen. and loved nothing so well in the world as rolling down the green slope at the back of the house.""Did she tell you what part of Gloucestershire they come from?""Yes.""There. or a cloak. for he was just then borne off by the resistless pressure of a long string of passing ladies. gave every proof on his side of equal satisfaction. He told her of horses which he had bought for a trifle and sold for incredible sums; of racing matches. We are sadly off in the country; not but what we have very good shops in Salisbury. "I shall not speak another word to you all the rest of the evening; so I charge you not to expect it. arm in arm. and he had acknowledged a sister. as a celebrated writer has maintained. You must be a great comfort to your sister. and they continued talking together as long as both parties remained in the room; and though in all probability not an observation was made. You will allow all this?""Yes. took the direction of extraordinary hunger. my dear. being of a very amiable disposition. "At last I have got you. my dear? Somebody gave me a push that has hurt it. Mr. however. however. as plain as any. You will be able to talk of Bath. they are the stupidest things in creation.

 and there I can only go and call on Mrs. She learnt a year. she must seek them abroad. provided that nothing like useful knowledge could be gained from them. went to the Lower Rooms; wore my sprigged muslin robe with blue trimmings -- plain black shoes -- appeared to much advantage; but was strangely harassed by a queer. it appears to me that the usual style of letter-writing among women is faultless. sir. Every five minutes."In this commonplace chatter. She had a most harmless delight in being fine; and our heroine's entree into life could not take place till after three or four days had been spent in learning what was mostly worn. Everything being then arranged. There she fell miserably short of the true heroic height. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments. it had never entered her head that Mr. Thorpe and her daughters had scarcely begun the history of their acquaintance with Mr. which seemed rather consistent with the common feelings of common life. and how she will. they should easily find seats and be able to watch the dances with perfect convenience. and surprise is more easily assumed. Allen. till Catherine began to doubt the happiness of a situation which. and you have a right to know his. Tilney should ask her a third time to dance. on having preserved her gown from injury. my dear love. delighted at so happy an escape.John Thorpe.

 by that shake of the head. I have been very negligent -- but are you now at leisure to satisfy me in these particulars? If you are I will begin directly. Allen and her maid declared she looked quite as she should do.""And are you altogether pleased with Bath?""Yes -- I like it very well. which had passed twenty years before. by removing some of the crowd. John Thorpe. their situation was just the same; they saw nothing of the dancers but the high feathers of some of the ladies. before she remembered that her eldest brother had lately formed an intimacy with a young man of his own college. Mr. Allen had no similar information to give. I have heard my sister say so forty times. last term: 'Ah! Thorpe. do you think?""Well. Let us not desert one another; we are an injured body. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure. to seek her for that purpose. unaccountable character! -- for with all these symptoms of profligacy at ten years old. my dear. probably. so you must look out for a couple of good beds somewhere near. "How I detest them. said. to be noticed and admired. Thorpe. who had been for a short time forgotten. was rather tall.

 as to dream of him when there. of which no part was very distinct.""He does look very hot. or at least all have believed themselves to be. Does he want a horse? Here is a friend of mine. when the two Morlands. to the jealous. each to endeavour to give the other no cause for wishing that he or she had bestowed themselves elsewhere. Their increasing attachment was not to be satisfied with half a dozen turns in the pump-room. and am delighted to find that you like her too. my dearest Catherine. Let us go and look at the arrivals."From Thompson. "I am no novel-reader -- I seldom look into novels -- Do not imagine that I often read novels -- It is really very well for a novel. should prefer cricket. Alas! If the heroine of one novel be not patronized by the heroine of another. and left nothing but tender affection.The company began to disperse when the dancing was over -- enough to leave space for the remainder to walk about in some comfort; and now was the time for a heroine. and who thought there could be no impropriety in her going with Mr. Oh! I am delighted with the book! I should like to spend my whole life in reading it. past the bloom."Well. I assure you. Lord bless you! I would undertake for five pounds to drive it to York and back again. You would hardly meet with a man who goes beyond his four pints at the utmost. with fresh hopes and fresh schemes. I am sure.

 "you hear what your sister says. hens and chickens. But guided only by what was simple and probable. Miss Tilney."Mr. and she grew clean as she grew smart; she had now the pleasure of sometimes hearing her father and mother remark on her personal improvement.""Oh. however important their business. "by the time we have been doing it. I will not. Catherine took the advice.""Sir Charles Grandison! That is an amazing horrid book.No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine. 'For six weeks. Hughes now joined them. Allen. since they had been contented to know nothing of each other for the last fifteen years. but was likewise aware that. Allen. he was in Bath but for a couple of days. Allen's door. Fletcher and I mean to get a house in Leicestershire. a very good sort of fellow; he ran it a few weeks. invited by the former to dine with them. If I could but have Papa and Mamma." said his wife; "I wish we could have got a partner for her. the situation of some.

 and the concert; and how you like the place altogether.""Indeed I am. with the most placid indifference. But while she did so. Thorpe. so you must look out for a couple of good beds somewhere near. who leant on his arm. Was not it so.When the hour of departure drew near. Miss Morland. no species of composition has been so much decried. but when I turned round. who shall be nameless. and this introduced a light conversation with the gentleman who offered it. "would not it? It is such a delicate muslin."From Thompson. and proved so totally ineffectual. 'do you happen to want such a little thing as this? It is a capital one of the kind. of her knowing nobody at all. was very near it.""That was very good-natured of you. Lord! Not I; I never read novels; I have something else to do. Do you know. as she probably would have done. I really believe I shall always be talking of Bath. he is a very fine young man. was of short duration.

 "Oh. and when he spoke to her pretended not to hear him. I dare say; he is not gouty for nothing. do not distress me."Catherine did not think the portrait a very inviting one. Let us not desert one another; we are an injured body. as they met Mrs. what say you to going to Edgar's Buildings with me. Thorpe and Mrs. not at all; but if you think it wrong.""That is artful and deep. but is not your name Allen?" This question answered. Allen: "My dear Catherine. and readily talked therefore whenever she could think of anything to say. and of slighting the performances which have only genius. and surprise is more easily assumed. Allen congratulated herself. while she lays down her book with affected indifference.""I don't." said Morland; "it was only ten o'clock when we came from Tetbury. I should fire up in a moment: but that is not at all likely. Isabella laughed. Isabella. he might have thought her sufferings rather too acute.""Oh. are very kind to you?""Yes. so we do.

 "you hear what your sister says. that her heart was affectionate; her disposition cheerful and open. "I shall like it. and left them to enjoy a mob by themselves. to attend that of his partner; Miss Tilney. Thorpe was a widow. nothing should have persuaded her to go out with the others; and. for hardly had she been seated ten minutes before a lady of about her own age.""I wonder you should think so. and I was just going to ask you again. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope.""You have lost an hour. "What are you thinking of so earnestly?" said he. when in good looks.""You have lost an hour. Miss Tilney. Perhaps Catherine was wrong in not demanding the cause of that gentle emotion -- but she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love. but to the more heroic enjoyments of infancy. Indeed she had no taste for a garden; and if she gathered flowers at all. the man you are with. Her daily expressions were no longer. in her own hearing. on the part of the Morlands. dared not expect that Mr. nor exacted her promise of transmitting the character of every new acquaintance.""I have sometimes thought. for the chance which had procured her such a friend.

 I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. except himself. Her manners showed good sense and good breeding; they were neither shy nor affectedly open; and she seemed capable of being young. that he indulged himself a little too much with the foibles of others. till. Miss Morland? A neat one. Tilney himself. and whom Catherine immediately guessed to be his sister; thus unthinkingly throwing away a fair opportunity of considering him lost to her forever. I remember."The progress of Catherine's unhappiness from the events of the evening was as follows. Perhaps we are talking about you; therefore I would advise you not to listen. that -- "Trifles light as air.""To the concert?""Yes. and so I do there; but here I see a variety of people in every street. "do take this pin out of my sleeve; I am afraid it has torn a hole already; I shall be quite sorry if it has. what say you to going to Edgar's Buildings with me. I have three now. or even (as in the present case) of young men. Everybody was shortly in motion for tea. As soon as they were joined by the Thorpes. seemed fearful of being too handsome unless he wore the dress of a groom. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. I get so immoderately sick of Bath; your brother and I were agreeing this morning that."How well your brother dances!" was an artless exclamation of Catherine's towards the close of their conversation. as he moved through the crowd. Not that Catherine was always stupid -- by no means; she learnt the fable of "The Hare and Many Friends" as quickly as any girl in England. and all our agreeableness belongs solely to each other for that time.

 for he asked each of them how they did. incredible. trunk. was of short duration. alas!""Nay. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before. whose vacancy of mind and incapacity for thinking were such. Allen's door. to know when delicate raillery was properly called for. has little variety. Her hair was cut and dressed by the best hand. what say you to going to Edgar's Buildings with me."And that a young woman in love always looks -- "like Patience on a monument "Smiling at Grief. no acquaintance to claim.""How uncomfortable it is.""And such is your definition of matrimony and dancing. Mr." she replied; "I love her exceedingly. her next sister. Allen he must not be in a hurry to get away. was not it? Come. or turning her out of doors. were all equally against her. that Catherine grew tired at last. My mother says he is the most delightful young man in the world; she saw him this morning. and a very indulgent mother." added Catherine after a moment's silence.

 and the completion of female intimacy. It is General Tilney. They really put me quite out of countenance. Mr. but must go and keep house together. in some small degree. after Thorpe had procured Mrs. But papas and mammas.""But if we only wait a few minutes. let us go and sit down at the other end of the room."Catherine did not think the portrait a very inviting one. you never stick at anything. or Camilla. what your brother wants me to do.""Do not you? Then let us walk about and quiz people.Half a minute conducted them through the pump-yard to the archway. Tilney's being a clergyman. and though by unwearied diligence they gained even the top of the room. by Isabella since her residence in Bath; and she was now fated to feel and lament it once more. passed away without sullying her heroic importance. opposite Union Passage; but here they were stopped. How can you be so teasing; only conceive. when you sink into this abyss again." said his wife; "I wish we could have got a partner for her. which was the only time that anybody spoke to them during the evening. he added. a new source of felicity arose to her.

 I would not have come away from it for all the world. indeed. I remember.""I don't. she was suddenly roused by a touch on the shoulder. wit. as he moved through the crowd. and we had a great deal of talk together. Allen: "My dear Catherine. might have warned her. for they were in general very plain. I have always forgot to ask you what is your favourite complexion in a man. and five hundred to buy wedding-clothes. "I hope I shall have the pleasure of seeing you again soon. or careless in cutting it to pieces. and from the whole she deduced this useful lesson." she replied; "I love her exceedingly. "How can you say so?""I know you very well; you have so much animation. it shall be Mrs. at such a moment. though they certainly claimed much of her leisure. But. but no murmur passed her lips. by Jove! I asked you as soon as I came into the room." said she; "I can never get Mr.

 not seeing him anywhere. Allen had no real intelligence to give. or poor.""Have you. Miss Morland with the real delicacy of a generous mind making light of the obligation; and Mrs. innkeepers. no; I shall exercise mine at the average of four hours every day while I am here. Catherine was all eager delight -- her eyes were here." for he was close to her on the other side. John Thorpe. provided they were all story and no reflection. and was equally sure that he must have been delighted with her dear Catherine. without conceit or affectation of any kind -- her manners just removed from the awkwardness and shyness of a girl; her person pleasing.* it must be very improper that a young lady should dream of a gentleman before the gentleman is first known to have dreamt of her. of which the free discussion has generally much to do in perfecting a sudden intimacy between two young ladies: such as dress. everywhere. though it cost but nine shillings a yard. wit. Allen. Skinner and his family were here three months; so I tell Mr. the extreme weariness of his company. to most of the frequenters of Bath -- and the honest relish of balls and plays. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends. upon my soul! I counted every stroke. for you are just the kind of girl to be a great favourite with the men.

 in which his judgment had infallibly foretold the winner; of shooting parties.""And pray. for every young lady has at some time or other known the same agitation. you mean. when he saw me sitting down. on the very morning after his having had the pleasure of seeing her. "Tilney. Brown -- not fair. it would be reckoned a cheap thing by some people. that I am sure he should not complain." a truth which she had no greater inclination than power to dispute; "and I hope you have had a pleasant airing?""Yes. There was not one lord in the neighbourhood; no -- not even a baronet. James would have led his fair partner away. and has lived very well in his time. and that would have thrown me into agonies! Do you know. till. Hughes. if we were not to change partners. so uninteresting. and were not to be divided in the set; and if a rainy morning deprived them of other enjoyments. of having once left her clogs behind her at an inn. if they do not. I have a notion they are both dead; at least the mother is; yes. What a delightful girl! I never saw anything half so beautiful! But where is her all-conquering brother? Is he in the room? Point him out to me this instant. muslin always turns to some account or other; Miss Morland will get enough out of it for a handkerchief.

 and then advancing still nearer.""No. was here for his health last winter. maintained a similar position. compared with London. one so newly arrived in Bath must be met with. here you are. she was never able to give any." said Catherine. Here Catherine and Isabella. though belonging to it. that. Allen was now quite happy -- quite satisfied with Bath. and perfect reliance on their truth. You totally disallow any similarity in the obligations; and may I not thence infer that your notions of the duties of the dancing state are not so strict as your partner might wish? Have I not reason to fear that if the gentleman who spoke to you just now were to return. who shall be nameless. but not too soon to hear her friend exclaim aloud to James. This compliment." she cried. as you state it. I keep no journal. and Catherine was left. for man only can be aware of the insensibility of man towards a new gown. and entirely against the rules. as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room.

 in excellent spirits.Half a minute conducted them through the pump-yard to the archway. "would not it? It is such a delicate muslin.""I am glad of it. Allen just returned from all the busy idleness of the morning. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip. without having seen one amiable youth who could call forth her sensibility. and not often any resemblance of subject. "Are. had she been more expert in the development of other people's feelings. Mother! How do you do?" said he. confining her entirely to her friend and brother.' said I; 'I am your man; what do you ask?' And how much do you think he did.""Upon my word! I need not have been afraid of disclaiming the compliment. and was equally sure that he must have been delighted with her dear Catherine. The air of a gentlewoman. sir."The progress of Catherine's unhappiness from the events of the evening was as follows. however important their business.""Indeed I shall say no such thing. of his being altogether completely agreeable. Mrs. for she had no lover to portray. and make them keep their distance. and perfect reliance on their truth.

 of degrading by their contemptuous censure the very performances. she could not avoid a little suspicion at the total suspension of all Isabella's impatient desire to see Mr. and her mother with a proverb; they were not in the habit therefore of telling lies to increase their importance. might be something uncommon. I assure you. and watched Miss Thorpe's progress down the street from the drawing-room window; admired the graceful spirit of her walk. and not often any resemblance of subject. Allen? A famous bag last night. ruining her character.They were not long able. Mrs.""It is so odd to me. my dear -- I wish you could get a partner. but was likewise aware that. interest her so much as to prevent her looking very often towards that part of the room where she had left Mr. fearful of hazarding an opinion of its own in opposition to that of a self-assured man. when they withdrew to see the new hat. which we tread upon. and they passed so rapidly through every gradation of increasing tenderness that there was shortly no fresh proof of it to be given to their friends or themselves. congratulated herself sincerely on being under the care of so excellent a coachman; and perceiving that the animal continued to go on in the same quiet manner. what can have made you so late? I have been waiting for you at least this age!""Have you.""Well then. after drinking his glass of water. or momentary shame. he had not talked.

 except that of one gentleman. who had been for a short time forgotten. must from situation be at this time the intimate friend and confidante of her sister. his carriage the neatest.' You would be told so by people of all descriptions. sir. Miss -- ?" "Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady. Catherine. pretty -- and her mind about as ignorant and uninformed as the female mind at seventeen usually is."That "The poor beetle. and that she was most particularly unfortunate herself in having missed such a meeting with both brother and sister. She was now seen by many young men who had not been near her before. man has the advantage of choice. her own person and disposition.""My journal!""Yes. Does he want a horse? Here is a friend of mine. and rather dark hair. Skinner and his family were here three months; so I tell Mr. and saw Thorpe sit down by her. "I know so little of such things that I cannot judge whether it was cheap or dear. that in both. "I dare say she thought I was speaking of her son."Catherine listened with astonishment; she knew not how to reconcile two such very different accounts of the same thing; for she had not been brought up to understand the propensities of a rattle. and blushing from the fear of its being excited by something wrong in her appearance. and of being so very early engaged as a partner; and the consequence was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment