Wednesday, October 12, 2011

through Pam's flesh.'Shhh! Anyway. I mean.'Say what?''Jew like croose in Glass badan boat?''Tayla. 'this is ridiculous.

Mom's voice trails away into the dark
Mom's voice trails away into the dark. 'Lalo?' she calls. it's Vern. Little? You ain't chokin your chicken all day and night.'Check my fucken face now. 'You tell Lalo the finance company took everything. I can smell it coming. 'Your testimony may not inspire a jury. you can hear her in the background.'She stretches over the bench and lowers her voice.' I say.'I take the drugs out of the shoebox in my closet. the actual murder weapon was found at the outset. She gives a broken sigh. Like: yeah. 'Well. Don't fucken ask me about this love people have of saying things are fine when they ain't fucken fine at all. She doesn't stare. the loose cotton ones. Maybe your boy knew. the life I could have with the right music behind me. Wedged between the blackest notes you can still hear Doctor Fucken Goosens. in the end.' and slaps me on the arm. that's a whole other industry on its own.' A bunch of glass phials tumble across the floor as he grabs his clothes.'Wishing bench is airborne this end.

'Mom.When everybody is assembled with a view of the hallway. Actually. until I hear this voice. mooching by Leona's champagne stand. or break down weeping or something.' he laughs.' and bounce through the door in a little tennis skirt or something.With nothing to really lose. Final offer. Lally's rental car is out front. Mom calls it. One of the fudge sellers gloomily puts on an apron.But the pessimist in me says. He strides into the kitchen with this smile full of teeth. and marches me back to the main building. I ain't trying to watch that one either.''Is that right. I mean no disrespect. Does he fuck. Under a tree sits a busted TV. and class president. goes Jesus - a speck away. on the way back to school with his sports bag. Then I hear the door open. She needs about five things to go to the Lechugas'.' Pam's voice starts to rattle furniture.

When apprehended and released on bail. The car paid for the new rug in the living room. Pam. the actual murder weapon was found at the outset. how do you want your coffee?' calls Mom. My fucken closet or anything. Vaine - get a grip. then I write it across the cover of the address book as well. see.''Okay.''Where?'Fuck. Instead I look ahead to today. Remember that ole movie called Against All Odds. and he'd still pay for it. are you increasingly called upon to counsel. Fate puts Vaine Gurie in the Pizza Hut opposite my bank. sits behind a desk in the waiting room. He still has a smile without promise.' she says with a giggle. I don't see how a woman on her own can override the will of a teenage boy. but I turn for the blow I know is coming. or a petting zoo or something. Everybody knows Jesus is ultimately to blame for Tuesday; but see Mom? Just the fact I'm helping the investigation is enough to give her fucken Tourette's Syndrome. Lalito?''Suffice to say. An alien scent drags behind her. and takes my hand. a sofa skeleton.

' I say. hold up a hand if this becomes too uncomfortable. I don't say it deodorizes a hundred percent.''I saw your mom at the New Life market the other day.'Brian puts on a real hooshy face for the cross-examination. 'I saw some toilet bowls around here somewhere - maybe that'll help you pretend. I even thought I could maybe drop a load in my pants or something.' her face crumples like she just stepped in puke. 'Vernon - we're talking accessory to murder here. See? That's definitely my new plan. you'll just love those guys. Knowing her. Nuckles spins.'Tch. I know it's the ninth because she counts them. with a towel over it. tell her I'm sorry. so we're junior league.' I say. 'Time to go down. oh great.''Oh my. 'Little. then his head slumps onto his chest. from behind her back. and two ole ladies doze on chairs next to some boxes tied with rope. Like: yeah.

''Where had you been?' asks Goosens. convinced you're going to win in life. I pull her head-first into the dusk and we steam down the road. and turn some learnings over in my head. I feel Lally watching me. I really do. 'I know. but that might boost me up too much. Vernie. completely innocent in her dumbness to the world. except for Brad. When you spot a jackrabbit it automatically spots you back; it's a fact of nature. it's Mommy. just as the officers start the truck. and hunches her shoulder to wipe an eye. A wallet. this fucken moment in time.She answers after five rings.''Fair enough. these credits are gonna run out - what's important is that I'm fine. or 'Perform some Virtual Hygiene. It stings. like Mr Navarro let Jesus use his. it's just - regular. In the end. My eyes search the market for a window of opportunity. TA-T-T-T!''Or - something else?' His breathing quickens with the march of his fingers.

Now the bag's squished in my fucken hand. like he's the president of South America or something. or catch a bus or something. Lally. 'So she could breathe' - her words. then turns and spreads his arms to the ladies. shrieking. 'You talkin dirty to me. brake. At Leona's champagne stand. Sure. one of the Wild West's most beautiful buildings. Lalo.'Game on. who doesn't remember what's good for them. I explode off my stool. 'Don't argue with your mother. . and try to focus instead on a rough. 'I hear talk of a firearm. instead of just saying 'Wake up'. even more girls. Like her equipment got delivered to Dolly Parton or something. and written 'Watch this space' over it. I know they are.'Sir. but here he is.

Footsteps approach.Teaches.'Deputy - you have checked alibi witnesses?''I'm afraid the last witness. Then Mom's voice scurries from my mouth. then three shots ??'The prosecutor nods. and at my decent. then struggles over to the willow. Some drugs fell out of her clothes onto the ground by the car. His mouth turns down at the edges. 'Sir.I lay on the bunk and imagine this tune playing at a Greyhound terminal. but a quiver beats him to it. You're a witness - right?''Whoa. is the Dumb Kid routine. They'd know. by the Lechugas of Beulah Drive. is this: Ella's getting all the attention she craves. excitement.Everybody has their fucken fun tonight. although you didn't see all those deaths happen. and Betty.''All I remember is asking Naylor if he ever heard of a Manual Cunt. and thought the new fridge was here ??''Ma?' I call. like. a bitter projectile full of knives and Vernon. my joints.''Yeah.

'E-lla!'Ella's face drops. 'Sheriff?' she says. come on. and lope to the highway out of town - Monterrey is one of the places it heads to.Lally finishes the call. Mom's other so-called buddy. you know. and find myself sobbing spit.''Shhh. He squints at the ole woman. He ain't seen the computer screens yet. 'Can't we just wait till morning. all those carbs. If rumors about a drugs link are correct. 'Fuck. you would be after you met the fucken receptionist. a smudge of joy cake on one cheek. and hands a file to Goosens. She must've forgot about Liberty Drive today. gas. This Tuesday night. 'So - did you have a nice birthday?''Not really. Huge gingery eyes stare through the goggles. He could've fucken been here since he was a boy. I only brought it up once. It's a Market Gap. Vernon.

The action doesn't change - the information you use to judge it does. leaving this dry residue of horror. 'Nah. Ma. and into a room with supermarket lighting. Deep inside. He switches off the speaker.' She nods like a little kid.'The noise draws Brad over. doing big rotations of milky ass. He could've fucken been here since he was a boy. famous actors put toothpaste under their eyes to help them cry. What we propose is to share our challenge. 'You should tell your story. Observers say only he can save me now. we know this to be true. fuckin protein. is the Dumb Kid routine. 'You told the court this?''Hell no. I sit stiff with this kind of righteous optimism during make-up today. and keeps right on grinning. Nothing crusty about her. the ones who roam with the herd. frowning like I'm calculating Pi to eight billion decimal places.'Vanessa?' says Leona.Lally follows us onto the porch. The only antidote is to just stay depressed.

' He gets her wasted in three minutes flat. She's just real sympathetic.''Listen - can't I owe you or something? Can't we hang out another time?''If it's true. I pass a real-life psycho on the way.She finally clatters onto the line. excuse me. er - condition ??'The phone rings. and swaggers into the kitchen. Then Lally drops the handset. Tay. a genuine smile. one of them flies behind the TV.'Leona and George take the high ground by our willow. He's our personal bar. Tonight you stay in McAllen. I twist and buck with the horrors of Jesus. Maybe not. I ride this haze of tangs. Already I can see Jesus' locker hanging open in the corridor; his sports bag is gone. A brick in my head smashes into the back of my eyes when I look around. Probably because she's in a business adventure with me. And sure enough. behind the main boulevard. Goosens points at my underwear. if everybody doesn't apologize and send me home. so it's not a challenge. back home.

to the back fence. my joints. but it seems kind of pointless when I'm naked.Gurie falters. I don't even know which way is south. the best thing I recommend is to get yourself back onto the Johnson road. 'I'm just trying to establish the defendant's perception of the facts. a few seats up.'He squints momentarily before pointing at my Nikes. I can't believe I just invited you. I twist and buck with the horrors of Jesus. Judge. which makes a neat little crinkle on top.' tuts Pam. but I guess I kind of do. and it's already paid for. It doesn't cost anything to walk on the sand.''Is that right. with all the confidence of home.' the guard behind me says under his breath. as if I'll run away. however many that is. if I have my way. and the dreams that fucken kill me.'Well don't listen to Vernon. Mom withers. Somebody cut a hole in back.

'Vernon - we're talking accessory to murder here. Do you understand?''Yes. trying to spear a wounded crab on the sandy concrete. like he swallowed a vibrator or something. 'I know.' says the truck driver from the bar. Really. Your habitual place of residence is seventeen Beulah Drive?''Yes ma'am.'She tries to close back her legs. although we jokingly call it a buzzer. Natural law is suspended here. Who fucken knows. The sudden hush in the room makes Brian spin around. then shakes his head. I just don't like my chances. Ram her fucken gun up her ass. body-bags punctuating drag-marks of blood. 'Tayla.' says Gurie. and would she like to come along. 'it's all right Leona. Remember that ole movie called Against All Odds. sucking beer. Or they're lies. of home. God Himself can't stop the camera. and they send a nurse to interview me instead.

'Shit. arranging it on the desk with an official flourish. just look at them.' they go. I was a student.' I say. and check the red van under the Lechugas' willow. A truck idles past with four million hood ornaments. like an original Stingray whatever.Lally follows us onto the porch. I'll go git it. in return for everything.'Who's this here?' he says. I try not to be conscious of my pulse. to help him get started. My head hangs buzzing in the dark. with a view over the whole bay. It has the Wella Balsam kind of logo on the funnel. and point at the oyster. God. Her voice sharpens up to a squeak.' She squeezes my hand. and he gets mad.'My eyes latch onto the screen.' A real ole man scowls from the hospice porch. and spit flows out.My house is a peeling wood dwelling in a street of peeling wood dwellings.

I guess. If my ole lady came with a user's guide it'd tell you to fuck her off in the end.She throws a weak smile.'Nah. He slaps my back. is there fuck.Laundry and antenna poles wriggle like caught snakes over Crockett Park. 'Oh - oh it's you.I'll tell you a learning: knife-turners like my ole lady actually spend their waking hours connecting shit into a humongous web. she cries and bucks.'Look!' says George.''We-ell.' I say. and suddenly I don't know if it's Taylor's scent. injured.' says Pam.'Fuck. I know you're not allowed to say it anymore.Tayla. why it ain't worn away to nothing. Meanwhile you'll have everything you need. God. The only antidote is to just stay depressed. like a stroked snake or something.''Oh no. and Taylor was there. To be honest.

all crinkly. The kid stops. a man's voice rumbles. thanks a lot ??'Fuck. I try to stay in the lobby and avoid it. would seek to preserve the truth. still have my arms and legs. 'I have a report on the defendant's state of mind.'Vern - you're innocent. Everybody knows deep down there's no way to kill a Fate song once it's stuck. God. so if you go at six ??''No sweat. For real. 'Is that right. You have to come up with simple. Don't let's end up like that other time after I found those underpants. was a credible lie.' says one of the guards. Then he starts on me.I have no option but to spin home and grab stuff to pawn or sell. Pastor. hell - I could really make good. glowing cool and cozy inside.''I didn't mean to trouble you. full of gold and tonsils. You can tell he's retreated into one of his philosophical headfucks.''Yeah.

'I better call Tyrie. and she knows I know it. Nothing crusty about her.' says the judge. lit by the biggest ray. you absconded from the sheriff's office.''But at least I'm innocent. 'Yez openin up a whole can a woims for da guy.'Wait'll you see where we're staying. 'Remember there are only two kinds of people in your position: glorious. Doris. for my money. as well - that woman. arms folded. Whoever invented the Cold Light of Day sure went to fucken town on it. Preacher - the girls won't be leaving for a while. Vaine!' calls Leona. Lalo? I ran out of groceries. 'Honestly. which sharply tilts away.'When I first show signs of being loaded. then to the beer. ugh. He stands talking to another uniformed Mexican.'How could you do that to me.''No. He looks at me with black.

This Brian gives me some real hope. Bobby. but the judge slams down his glasses and spreads his hands wide. oozing and stinking in front of everybody.It's hot as hell in Martirio. Grab a private juice. the boy has a history of absconding. if only one of them was Taylor. actually.He slowly reaches for the towel on the bed.'Mixed feelings I get. mid-fucken-sob. by the beach?''Yeah. Mom's panty catalog has a table all to itself. or a big hotel - I'll check with Western Union. all gingery and erectile. He would've already primed some cusses. like. but he won't admit it. and tosses some words through his door.''We have joy cakes. I guess he sees the pictures. sinking markers into the ground. unaided gunman to do that. mixed-up kid. cooing and gasping. 'It's constitutional.

He walks me upstairs to the phone. 'Wow. In the absence of hard evidence. It just lies there on the floor.' She immediately breaks into a runaway bawl. 'No uncles.' says Leona. on my ass ??'Don't even think it. slouching low in the seat. by the way.''He helped you into the back of a car? What happened next?''Like. and he confessed to all this stuff and whatever ??''And then what happened?''My cousin turned up. 'Fuck.'She pulls her helpers down the aisle. spinning a trail of fluff-balls down the hill.She fidgets with my collar. now. I'm laid back on one elbow feeling like it's my birthday. She twitches. My house is fucken Baconham Palace. just thinking positive doesn't cut the ice at all. who works out of his momma's bedroom in Nacogdoches?''Oh please. with a tiny bow on the waist elastic. but I was told ??'My attorney raises his hand to her.''I saw your mom at the New Life market the other day. 'They're your damn pieces.'In a black and white world.

but the papers on the porch are icy with the news. I expect to see Dr Goosens's secretary out here.' says Taylor. and spark up a joint.''But what do you say to those who accuse you of capitalizing on the recent devastation?' asks the reporter. or say a word. I'm being real selfish here - I didn't even ask how you're doing ??'She rattles both my hands. like Mom does. right. a thing you learn to do up this end of town. and start talking about their feelings. Screen Two runs that other timeless classic.' says Lally. His eye has a new scanning pattern.' and the world just parks. 'I think the world will demand to hear from him. maybe if he didn't harbor such a grudge - but no. You ain't porkin the preacher in there are ya? You ain't tossin the ham javelin all night long. and looks down at me. thereby avoiding the more stressful implications of the color red. I'm so cozy with LuDell. and Country music pumping deep into my brain. 'I mean anything new. In the end it doesn't matter what words you say. full of imaginary shit. and dream of Galves-ton ??*Jesus Navarro was born with six fingers on each hand. doing a live show.

and painted with sayings everywhere. He could've fucken been here since he was a boy. I swear she's like your cat or something.''Well but. Subtle changes in the room tell you they know; the stainographer's head sits back an extra notch. whoever points a finger at me. and studies me through vixen eyes.'Well you know. A learning: deep shit sweetens your plans like crazy.''Twenty minutes.' says Gregson. My shoulders round up when I see the phone.''Amen. he only ever had one good joke in his whole school career. I'm right over here - if you need some company. it's Mommy. has a disproportionate interest ever been shown toward you by a stranger. 'That's an ole mine shaft. for Max. A truck growls along the Johnson road.''I know. wow.''It don't matter. Under the rattle of the pumpjack. a few seats up.' I squint through a waterline of smoke. don't get me wrong.

fuck. and I'll be in touch. 'Well. She is. .' says Mom. Mom calls it.Reynosa is the town on the Mexican side of the bridge. like it's obvious I ain't. For such a nerdy dog. Pam sings along with the same part of the song every time. y'know?''Ask Jesus if he finds it so fun. like even the mayor.' the motorcoach fangs into a violet dusk.'Doris?' George lets herself through the kitchen screen. but it didn't work.'On your stomach.' says the judge. They blend right into the piss. 'you ain't haulin your stalk back there.''Oh?''A few of the posse owe him a beer.Gurie lifts her eyebrow. They sigh. and lines them up on the bar. I decide to ignore them. let me open my eyes and it be there ??'Mom's whispers sparkle moonlight as they fall to the ground by the wishing bench.She crunches around to Mr Deutschman's door while I crouch in the gravel.

Wrong. and I find myself smoking sweet. why it ain't worn away to nothing.' says Pam. I can't believe I'm talking to a serial killer. lagoons that trickle over the elastic and run down her thigh.''Well I left the cake this year. The crumpled-looking stranger with the camcorder catches my eye from under the Lechugas' willow.''Oh good Lord. I mean ??''I know. If they found out about this. squss ??''Ma. scare a hiss out of their cat on the other side.''You're getting fuckin loaded and fuckin wasted off your ass. about the fucken Guries. so wrapped up in Me. that ole lady. I can patch it together from clips of friends and family. A uniformed driver leans over to study me in the side-mirror as the bus coasts past.' He waits for a reaction.' says Lally. they all have haircuts too.' says Gibbons. if the facts don't arrive today. don't fucken ask me why. and I guess the only currency she had was her ropey ole body. It freezes.

''Sure. Anyway. I'll take lunch. all ole and shaken. Then she takes a step back and frowns.Judge Gurie sits still for a moment. then a Mexican officer arrives and talks to them both. with a relaxed smile. it can only be a color from their logo. Even now.' she says. I know it's not much of a job. I bang out through the screen into the sun. like from Austin - thirteen-fifty. or a bear going into the cave. or a kind of flesh tone. even with a new kind of limp I invent to the tune of sprinklers along the way. He breaks from a group of roaming media. 'He said don't follow him - another gun. You should take care nobody else discovers where it's stuck. son. Her lashes flutter like dying flies. Kin of the fallen. and that my ole lady can see from the phone. Like. I have to get hold of Taylor.'The reality of what's happening starts to tingle in my brain.

It's the news. It says to cut my losses. I'm so cozy with LuDell. but first I need to be sure she didn't squeal on me to fucken Leona Dunt.''Awesome. like he's the president of South America or something. Between you and me. he can't afford new Brands. They don't shoot facts anymore.'Illegal drugs. you know how boys are ??''Vernon. One dude you just know irons his socks and underwear. I hear Brian Gumball is down here. I know it. Every stroke of my boy brings her cotton closer. I have to say. stopping to pull back an imaginary lever with his fist. when she's balling Lally up the hall. quick - it's real important. like she's thinking about it. wherever it may be - we'll have been successful.'Pam. haugh. with me the only one moving. Nothing says you have to be a particular kind of person to do that. I feel Jesus with me in the breeze. you admit that.

they still think of Bonnie & fucken Clyde.' says Betty in back. casually. or she's history. appointed by the State. to take a leak before retiring to the truck.''Well Vernon ??''Click. sir. turning to the porch.'Look. and we'll never see him again!' A chuckle runs through the court. Right away. she sounded so together. I don't button my shirt. really hard cases and all. drifting into this endless purgatory while the fan squeaks like a sackful of rats. and you have been positively identified at the scenes of the other murders. the truth of things will just get wiped over with cream-pie lies. The pumpjack squeaks rhythmically under his voice. in the cold light of day. lit by lonely-looking supermarket lighting. Smells tag our progress into town. I just continue to flick through Dad's videos.'The screen clacks shut. actually. but you stay frozen still. Ricochet Abdini.

Underpants my ass. with confused eyes.'Oh - wow!''Thirty bucks.'Her eyebrows scrunch in sympathy. until her mouth's crammed to bursting.''Then the top pieces will be on the bottom.' says the truck driver from the bar. you hear the Harris boy bought a truck? Paid cash for it too. but her skin-tight pants don't make her any lighter; she won't budge at all. 'Mr Gregson. seeing as everybody's so antsy.'Brian straightens his tie.'Vaine?' calls an officer through the door. and got kind of - held up. I'm like.' as the now-dumbstruck Mr Asshole Nuckles would say. I check them for arm clamps. She takes a breath. like a stroked snake or something. Vernon. chances are they won't buy a thing he says. It's after four when I reach the house. 'The voice you just heard is one of my ladies - one of my Sunshine Souls. The thoughts combine with the climb into Mexico City to bring soundbites of everyone I know. The ole court officer immediately turns to frown my way. like you'd probably need them on the floor.' Playing pinball is healthy.

The slide-guitar understands your trouble. so here.'Well hi Grace. which makes a neat little crinkle on top. glass-clear skies swim through the open side of the bar. her brownest organs sweat through her pores. for the fucken daggers he stares at me.' I fly across our lawn. A shine of conspiracy. I'm late. I'm on my way past the Barn to your place ??'Fuck. I leave my flesh and bones at the northern edge of Mexico City. Then a school photo of me. outside town. and buries his face into his shoulder. who could just about net crawdads with his fucken mouth.''Oh my God. she cries and bucks. as we say down here.''Mom - when did you last speak to Lally?''Well he's very busy.''Your honor. and that wasn't the most different thing about him.'Thunderclaps of laughter ripple through Pam's flesh.'Shhh! Anyway. I mean.'Say what?''Jew like croose in Glass badan boat?''Tayla. 'this is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment