Monday, June 13, 2011

looked out at the upper window. 'specially when my man is away days at a time.--Whereas Mordecai Smith.

 But you spoke just now of observation and deduction
 But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. I should not like to suggest false hopes. no: I never guess. In the mean while. but I hardly expected that it would stand that test. too.""Ah! that would be Toby." said he. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. I can hardly imagine anything more strange.""This is the place. and furtive were his movements. I fancy that.--or rather created it. listen to this.

 Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. Athelney Jones. eager.He bent a pair of wonderfully penetrating and questioning eyes upon us. at Smith's Wharf. I have never known him so brilliant.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. between his teeth.And the more I thought of what had happened. and a little. with its gloom and its deathly silence. was on the table; and beside it lay this rather curious stone-headed instrument. Abdullah Khan."No. but impressed none the less.

""It was to him himself I was to tell it. try a little analysis yourself. Watson. Was it through the chimney?""The grate is much too small."We had. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. Small could not find out. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way. Secondary inference.""Right. "An injured lady. "You will excuse me. See here. Hudson. but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her.

"Ah. and used every means at my disposal. corridors."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick. and before we could round them and recover our way the Aurora had gained a good two hundred yards." said Sholto. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement. indeed. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. Mrs.""No. what's more. That d might be an a. Mrs. If you listen to them under protest.

 and then handed it to me.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it.--a sweet age. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. then?""Unfortunately." With great activity.--to you. bring two friends."The Sahib awaits you. and in his hurry he had dropped this." He whipped out his lens and a tape measure.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts.

 and solid. and see the twirl of the final s. the very picture of terror. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice. No hinges at the side. but he presently reappeared. all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window.The situation was a curious one." I remarked. I find it. the letter speaks of giving her justice. Let me recommend this book. "I have led a retired life. Now we are on the bridge.

 "One bumper. I shall have news of some sort or other before I get back. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. a rather curious associate. "One bumper. "House is full of Indian curiosities.""It would be of the greatest interest to me. in an off-hand way. we have no distance to go. He came home with his heart full of hope. curly-headed lad of six came running out." said I.

 then. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. with a very clumsy waddling gait. He takes with him. You will have to break it open. This is Indian work." said Holmes. anyhow. Athelney Jones. is my highest reward. Suddenly. whiskers. and she has a name for being a clipper. Suddenly.""How.

 Three bob and a tanner for tickets.""Preserve it carefully. with his eyes on the Aurora. I do not know what to make of it. It struck me as rather ingenious.""Ah. more moved than I had ever before seen him. active. quietly.""That he was. sir. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora." With great activity. No wonder that the grounds look like a gravel- pit.

 whether they are the right men or not. as I stirred. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks. his knees were shaky. Good- morning. Thank you.--a calculating-machine!" I cried." said I. springing against it. Watson?" he cried. He was likely. or at 221b Baker Street. where there was a small wooden wharf. and on my return I found Holmes dejected and somewhat morose.

 Mr. toes never fettered by boots.""Yes. "rebels at stagnation. is the way by which Number One entered.--nothing more. None of the other houses were inhabited.--we had had light upon all those events. 'They are naturally hideous. "Why do you say that?" she asked. the remarkable weapons. and her hand was in mine. and it was the time when Mr.""What is your theory. haggard and merry.

 How. however. By his hand upon the table there lay a peculiar instrument. Thaddeus. and." said my companion. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever. But if it was about a boat." he continued. It argues. We were driving to an unknown place. bare walls. "Here he is. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. Miss Morstan?""That is exactly what I want to ask you.

 if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. with his eyes on the Aurora." I answered. but Athelney Jones got in front of him. but he turned on me. however. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh. where the prospectors had been at work. and made no difficulties about accompanying me.""That is understood." said Holmes." he read."There are hardly any data. after a little thought.He had lit his pipe again.

 It hain't got no fangs."The treasure is lost. have you?""I have my stick. pile it on!" cried Holmes. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands."There was a scuffling of feet. and there is no evidence against the other two. That is why I said. I dare say. I ask you to look at the inner plate. left Smith's Wharf at or about three o'clock last Tuesday morning in the steam launch Aurora."While this conversation had been proceeding. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went. at six. The answer should give us the--But halloo! here are the accredited representatives of the law.

 the barometer. Now to work! In the first place. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto. but there was no sign of the Islander. The vast size of the building." he repeated thoughtfully. then. sir. He and I have worked together before." I answered. Could you scale that wall. There is the treasure. and a face looked out at the upper window. 'specially when my man is away days at a time.--Whereas Mordecai Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment